• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Best place to get a Goodyear Gatorback belt...quick?

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
If the belt is making noise, its because it is slipping. You in all likelihood have a dying idler bearing.

The car only has 6400 miles! I doubt its a worn bearing/idler. That was the first thing I though, but they are spinning nice and straight.

It has to sit for more then a day to do it and it doesn't go with rpms....it chirps for about 5-10 seconds...but if I give it a little gas it goes away.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/search.php3?searchid=690469

I did a search for "belt squeak" and it seemed that people had the same issue...thier belt would chirp a little in the morning or after sitting a while...they switch to a gatorback belt and it stopped making noise.
No "proof" in those threads.

Usually squeaky belts are a result of some other issue (coolant on the belt, bad idler, bad tensioner, worn/loose belt, etc.) Changing to a new belt, be it gatorback or other, sometimes solves the issue (permanently or temporarily). The brand of belt has nothing to do with it.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Isn't the Gatorback designed slightly different? I remember one where the grooved area that contacts the pulleys being continous and smooth, I think this was the gates. And the other (I think the Gatorback) having sections of grooves, kinda like BilletFlows non slip pulley. Sorry for the lack of technical terms :).

I can see this giving off different sounds. Doubt it would be a squeek, but I'm sure it would sound slightly different.

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
No "proof" in those threads.

Usually squeaky belts are a result of some other issue (coolant on the belt, bad idler, bad tensioner, worn/loose belt, etc.) Changing to a new belt, be it gatorback or other, sometimes solves the issue (permanently or temporarily). The brand of belt has nothing to do with it.

I've searched other sites with similar results.

I don't see how it can be anything else. It intermittently chirps after sitting for more then a day. With 6400 miles, how can any idlers/pulleys be worn?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I've searched other sites with similar results.

I don't see how it can be anything else. It intermittently chirps after sitting for more then a day. With 6400 miles, how can any idlers/pulleys be worn?
I'm not implying they're worn (although they could be, even with 6400 miles), just saying the brand of belt has nothing to do with it. A new belt may well solve your problem, be it gates or goodyear. I don't mean to imply the goodyear isn't a good belt (it is), just that the brand doesn't matter.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Then why might it chirp sometimes....only after sitting for a while? I've never been to the track...I do get on it when I drive it, but its not like I'm drag racing it every weekend. The tensioner is in the middle and the belt is nice and tight.
I had a squeal on startup for a while on two different occasions that went away after warming up. The first time the RR tensioner pulley was the culprit, the second time was a result of coolant that got onto the belt.

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
I had a squeal on startup for a while on two different occasions that went away after warming up. The first time the RR tensioner pulley was the culprit, the second time was a result of coolant that got onto the belt.

Its not a squeal by any means....it sounds like a little bird chirping. Its not my TOB because I had the TSB and updated sleeve put on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info