• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2003 Cobra Performance upgrade / What first?

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
I have a 2003 Cobra Conver't. Its got 40K miles and the only upgrades that I know of to the car are dynomax cat back exhaust and k&N filter. From what I am reading the next thing I should do for more power is a smaller pulley and a tune. So I wanted to ask if that is the next best thing to do, and if so, I see a lot on ebay. What is the best ratio to go with, do I need to change a belt, Do I need to do a tune before I drive the car with the new pulley? I dont want to go to small, I am not looking for ton more power, just something extra. Thanks.

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
I would get the following (in order):

1. Billetflow IRS Brace
2. Subframe connectors (because it's a Vert)
3. Strut Tower brace (because it's a Vert)
4. CAI
5. Hi flow mid-pipe
6. 2.76" Billetflow Uppper Pulley and custom tune

BTW - Once you change the pulley, get a tune before you go Wide Open throttle.

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks for all the info. First question I have is, my car has subframe connectors on it, Did the convert's come with these from the factory? Second question, where should I buy the pulley from. Third question, Do I need to buy a belt, if so, where do I buy it, and what size with the 2.8 pulley? Also not sure where to get the 100mm idler pulley. Is all this a package I can buy somewhere. I am not to mechanically friendly, and from what I am reading, the factory blower pulley is a bitch to take off. I think I am just going to take this package of parts and send the car to finsh line in naperville, I read on here somewhere that they did a good job for someone. Thanks for all the info guys.

Aug 26, 2007
Thanks for all the info. First question I have is, my car has subframe connectors on it, Did the convert's come with these from the factory? Second question, where should I buy the pulley from. Third question, Do I need to buy a belt, if so, where do I buy it, and what size with the 2.8 pulley? Also not sure where to get the 100mm idler pulley. Is all this a package I can buy somewhere. I am not to mechanically friendly, and from what I am reading, the factory blower pulley is a bitch to take off. I think I am just going to take this package of parts and send the car to finsh line in naperville, I read on here somewhere that they did a good job for someone. Thanks for all the info guys.
Deans Performance in St. Charles FTW

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
Did the convert's come with these from the factory? Second question, where should I buy the pulley from. Third question, Do I need to buy a belt, if so, where do I buy it, and what size with the 2.8 pulley? Also not sure where to get the 100mm idler pulley. Is all this a package I can buy somewhere. I am not to mechanically friendly, and from what I am reading, the factory blower pulley is a bitch to take off. I think I am just going to take this package of parts and send the car to finsh line in naperville, I read on here somewhere that they did a good job for someone. Thanks for all the info guys.

Billetflow for the upper pulley (2.76 or 2.93) and the idlers

grooved-pulley03.JPG

pulleykits.jpg

The factory blower pulley can be a challenge to take off, but with the pulley removal tool (from Billetflow) it isn't to bad.
I did mine with the help of a friend in my garage.

+1 for Dean's Performance

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
- For the pulleys, IMO Billetflow is the best choice.
- The 100mm idler pulley may or may not be required, many people here do not run one.
- If you buy the parts, somebody with a pulley puller might assist you with the install. It's very easy with that tool, no need to pay somebody to do it. A case of beer for the guy might get it done. ;) If you insist on having a shop do it, Deans Performance (depending where you are located) is your best bet (price and quality).
- You're fortunate enough to have one of the best tuners of these cars in the country right in the area, Kurgan Motorsports. Dozens (if not hundreds) of people from this site have had their cars tuned there with GREAT success. Again, support a site sponsor and get a great, safe tune also.

My $0.02.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
If you just want more power then the recommendations the guys are throwing at you are dead on. But figure out for yourself how far you want to go what your hp goals are.....I made the mistake of going with a smaller pulley....then went to another smaller one.....then ended up sending the blower off to Steigemeir and got the port job and what was the end result.....I ended up getting a Whipple because I wasnt happy with the power i was making:p I figure I spent with the pulleys, porting,time and labor, and the cost of tuning I could have put aside another $1000 or so and went to the twin screw right away....alot of the guys still running the Eatons are happy with it but I have the horsepower sickness and after so long my car gets slow again:lmao::lmao:

doug@performance

Forum Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
For sure you will want to atleast do the pulley with the cold air kit. Your car DOES come with subframe connectors from the factory but they are nothing to write home about. Once you have a couple of the mods done we can set you up with a custom tune to get everything to work together.

Feel free to give me a call or stop in if you have any questions.
Thanks
Doug

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
Do a cat back and cold air intake. Its under $1K....and you don't need a tune.
One you start modding these cars its hard to stop....just to forewarn you...and your bank account!

Verts do come with subframe connectors...but they ay boxed steel and bolted in. The Maximum Mortorsports FLSCs are only $120....and well worth every penny for a vert!

As for shops....
Anyone that advertises on this site is more then qualified for these cars, and they are always willing to help.

I personally use Speed Inc., Deans Performance and Bob Kurgan for tuning

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks again for all the help. My "ask the audience" lifeline is probably the best thing, everyone pretty much agrees on what to do, so I am going to get a pulley, cai and tune. Not looking for to much power, just something to help get her up to speed when Im merging on the highway. I already have dynomax cat back that came on the car, dont really like them, kind of quiet, but what can you do. Thanks again for all the help, will check out dean's, or maybe sutton performance. Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info