• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

built short block

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
Hello, I have an 01 cobra engine in my car pushing 8-10 lbs of boost through a procharger and intercooler. I am think of building up the engine to handle more boost and power. Had a few questions: I am looking for 600-750 hp.

Do I just need to worry about the bottom end being built?
What specifically should I get?
Should I have my current block built 10k miles on it or get a fully built short block from scratch?
Where should I buy a short block or have the work done?
What should all this cost me to do?

Thanks

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Hello, I have an 01 cobra engine in my car pushing 8-10 lbs of boost through a procharger and intercooler. I am think of building up the engine to handle more boost and power. Had a few questions: I am looking for 600-750 hp.

Do I just need to worry about the bottom end being built? Yes, good rods, crank and pistons are the key!!
What specifically should I get? refer to the above...
Should I have my current block built 10k miles on it or get a fully built short block from scratch? I would have a shortblock built with a new block.. then you can sell your old shortlock to recoup some of the cost!
Where should I buy a short block or have the work done? DSS is local and has done thousands of shortblocks.
What should all this cost me to do? 630-587-1169 ask for ERIK or TOM... tell em i sent ya!!

Thanks

Good luck!

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
What he said ^^^^

I talk to Erik cause Tom is usually busy but I just got off the phone with Erik and my 01' shortblock will be done by the end of this week or next week :)

I had them machine my factory aluminum block .20 over. I got a new(er) cobra crank. Manley H-beam rods and (there) DSS Pro-X pistons with an -11cc dish. It puts the compression at 9.5:1. This set-up will still be good N/A cause I'll only loose a little hp from the lower compression but when I put boost on it next year it will handle 15-20psi maybe safely.

I can vouch for DSS I had there Pro Mod shortblock in my old GT with my Paxton Novi 2000 set-up and the car made good power and hauled ass.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
396 rwhp.......394 ft/lbs at 12psi

stock heads and cams, stock exhuast manifolds, stock intake manifold, on a inertia dyno

The stock exhaust manifolds killed my numbers. Not to bad for a 2valve though. The car pulled hard as hell....

The set-up I had before these numbers I was making 360 rwhp at 10psi and with stock suspension and lowering springs the car went 12.20@119mph

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list