• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

White smoke on start up

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
The past week I have noticed that every time I start my car COLD I will get a bit of white smoke. It smells like burning oil, but if I start it when the motor is warm, I don't get any smoke. The smoke is only an initial burst when started, then goes away. Any ideas as to what it might be?

Sounds like valve guide oil seals. Did you check the plugs?

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
We have seen this many times on cars. This in most cases is seals or guides and over night a small amount of oil leaks past. This is the smoke you then see at start up cold.

hot wise the heat expands things and seals better and then no leak down

don't worry about it....rock on :headbang:

01Sleeper

TCG Elite Member
Dec 11, 2004
We have seen this many times on cars. This in most cases is seals or guides and over night a small amount of oil leaks past. This is the smoke you then see at start up cold.

hot wise the heat expands things and seals better and then no leak down

don't worry about it....rock on :headbang:

Thats what I have heard from a few other people too. I will just keep driving it and beating the shit out of it and see what happens.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
A puff of smoke usually means a bad piston ring(s). But its not always the case our cars have a lot of little weird things about them that drive us nuts dont they? When I go WOT w my car my friends say there is always a dark clud of smoke that comes out of my pipes. Come to find out, it mostly happens when my heat is turned to on at the track.

On a further note, I work for Ford Motor Co, and to ease your mind a little when I was in Detroit working, I spoke to an engeneer that was on the DOHC program and he said its a common thing with these motors. He was also familiar with the new ls1's and he said they r the same way, they like to burn a little oil its normal for them. Hope this helps, I would still get it checked out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info