• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

It can be done.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
dunno. never had to drop the h-pipe yet. the trans is separate from the bellhousing, so i took the trans out first. i have not tried to remove the bellhousing yet :D my trans is toast but the clutch is fine. my new clutch bits arent here yet anyway, but i still need mobility so i'm just throwing the new trans at the car for now.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
I always removed the midpipe. But the Ford instructions leave it on. Bolt with bracket/vent tube is easier if you jack front of engine @ flywheel up a little. This will push trans downward and give more room between floor pan and that bolt. Something I learned from Lyle, sometimes the solutions are ubber simple.

Emil

Regular
May 1, 2004
the trans can be removed without dropping the exhaust. i just did it, laying on my back, rolling around in gravel.

the hard part is that bolt with the vent tube bracket. more extensions!

a t56 is heavy when its sitting on your chest.

The real fun is putting it back in :).

Make sure you don't hit the clutch so everything will line up just right. I remember the worse thing is getting the clutch lined up with the pilot bushing, sometimes those cheapo old alignment tools leave something to be desired! Also beware that you don't knock off or dislodge the throwout bearing.

Take a quick look at the pilot bushing also, you'll be kicking yourself if it starts to go out knowing you could have easily changed it.

Emil

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
the trans can be removed without dropping the exhaust. i just did it, laying on my back, rolling around in gravel.

the hard part is that bolt with the vent tube bracket. more extensions!

a t56 is heavy when its sitting on your chest.

Thats impressive. But I still like to take down the x pipe, and inspect everything, plus I like to change my 02 sensors every 5k I like having fresh ones in there. What were you working on that you needed to take down your trans? just curious?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
two weekends ago, at a track event at road america, i found the trans stuck in 5th gear. then it turned into box-full-o'-neutrals. the trans recovered, and I packed it in for the day, but I still had a 160 mile drive home. I found that while it would kick it back out of 5th, i could hold it in 5th with constant pressure. eventually 5th gear gave up and i had no 5th or 6th gears. sounded like gravel in a coffee can at idle. was a fun drive home down 94 with 4th gear only. i thought i was done with cars that did 3500rpm at highway speed...

i purchased a trans off ebay from rpm transmissions in indiana. ~$1800 outright (no core) for a rebuilt cobra-spec (i dont need 26 spline input shaft or viper output shaft) trans with fully polished internals, bronze fork pads, bronze shifter bushing, billet synchro strut keys, stainless throwout bearing sleeve, et cetera.

this trans, with an upgraded throwout bearing sleeve:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T56-...014QQitemZ330023538817QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

none of my clutch bits arrived on time, so i just did the r&r transmission dance.

i snarfed the input shaft out of the busted trans to use as a clutch alignment tool, and inside i found big chunks of carbon, and instead of the fresh trans fluid being red, it was purple with silver flakes...enough said. :D

i may never go back to early model mustangs. last time i had to bench press a transmission, it was an iron case toploader. a t-56 weighs about half as much...

i dont think the h-pipe needs to be dropped at all to remove the bellhousing. but frankly, i friggin HATE and thats H, A, T, E exhaust work. it could be argued that my cheese slipped off its cracker anyway, but i get all O.C.D. when it comes to dirty hands. greasy is fine, oily is fine, but dry, dusty, rusty, dirty hands just drive me up a wall. nitrile hand condoms for a big box of win. :D

Thats impressive. But I still like to take down the x pipe, and inspect everything, plus I like to change my 02 sensors every 5k I like having fresh ones in there. What were you working on that you needed to take down your trans? just curious?

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I'll take the old ones................

Hey I sell them for $20 a piece, I have over a dozen laying around. They r all new original ford's. But if you want the old ones, just let me know all you have to do is pay shipping. Or you can pick them up. They r all still in working order, there is a few sensors in the old batch that I ran really rich on so they may be going out I dont know wich ones. I just change them since I have so many. I hate seeing a check engine sighn on it drives me nuts.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
getting it out is easy. "gravity-assist." WHOOPS!

getting it in by myself took some ingenuity. i used 4x4 lumber as cribbing. the same lumber i use to remove the irs - jack up slightly, add wood, jack up higher, add more wood, et cetera. i work by myself and was worried about the thing rolling off the jack and crushing my skull. going slow and taking my time, and it all worked out.

i remember a post of vince's where he posted (couldn't find the post) that he cured his vibe by loosening the trans x-member bolts and driving back and forth to straighten out the driveline. i took it for a ride this morning and had a 120+mph vibe. couldn't duplicate the test due to traffic as far out as marseilles. damn tourists! the vibe wasnt enough to shake the rear view mirror, but it was enough for me to know things weren't quite right. i had to hurk things over to the driver's side in order to get that top trans bolt with the vent tube, so i figure i got the drlveline askew.

the trans was hard to get into reverse at first, but that turned out to be the shifter boot up against the plug for my valentine 1. d'oh!

after about 130 miles, everything is doing ok. its still a t56 so its still notchy as hell, but its a smooth kind of notchy, if that makes any sense. i figure monday i'll change the fluid and get on with my life until the clutch bits get here.

yay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info