• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Twin Screw guys, what filter and intake are you using, tech stuff inside

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I'm trying to find out what all the twin screw guys are using?

I currently use a JLT RAI with 10" S & B filter in the engine bay, KB says no filters in the engine bay, is this just so people buy their CAI kit?

Would you advise changing to something like the JLT High Boost CAI? My biggest concern is, will my 10" filter be a restriction? I searched on Modfords and the 10" filter is good for 1200 CFM while the MAF barely flows 1000 CFM, so it sounds like the filter itself may not be a restriction, my research shows that once moving IATs are similar between RAI in engine-bay filters vs fender kits. When at the track, I pull the headlight for any possible ram air effect, seems to work well and not be a restriction

Basically, do I need to spend another $250 on a high boost kit or is my 10" filter RAI OK?
Anybody still running a 10" filter?

Jason

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
firstsvt said:

I currently use a JLT RAI with 10" S & B filter in the engine bay, KB says no filters in the engine bay, is this just so people buy their CAI kit?

Would you advise changing to something like the JLT High Boost CAI? My biggest concern is, will my 10" filter be a restriction? I searched on Modfords and the 10" filter is good for 1200 CFM while the MAF barely flows 1000 CFM, so it sounds like the filter itself may not be a restriction, my research shows that once moving IATs are similar between RAI in engine-bay filters vs fender kits. When at the track, I pull the headlight for any possible ram air effect, seems to work well and not be a restriction

Basically, do I need to spend another $250 on a high boost kit or is my 10" filter RAI OK?

Jason

Jason, I would stick with your 10", since you already have it. I don't think you would gain that much from switching to a high boost setup. I wouldn't think it's worth the $250, I'm sure it could be spent a lot better else where. I'm sure your gain would be little with the high boost, but you wouldn't be 'hurting' your setup with the 10". FYI, DON'T buy that KB intake junk, I think you lose HP when switching to it...plus i heard some tuners had problems with it. Like I always say, the best intakes are made from PVC pipe. I am running a high boost setup on my 2.2. Just stick with your 10" and use the $250 to pay for the RWTD tune :biggthump

Kevin

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
firstsvt said:

Jason
I run a 10" S & B (with the Powerstack top) in conjunction with a K & N FIPK, but my combo doesn't need to support the boost/airflow levels I suspect you're talking about with your combo so who knows if that will be big enough.

BTW Jason, Dave King has alot of information about air filters on ModFords when he was experimenting with different configurations and high boost levels on his car.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
gnxs said:
I run a 10" S & B (with the Powerstack top) in conjunction with a K & N FIPK, but my combo doesn't need to support the boost/airflow levels I suspect you're talking about with your combo..

BTW Jason, Dave King has alot of information about air filters on ModFords when he was experimenting with different configurations and high boost levels on his car.

Thanks Larry, I re-read his threads and thats where most of my soft "data" is coming from. It sounds like he' sdone some pretty extensive testing and found that the fender kits offered lower IAT1 temps while idling but once up to speed IAT1 temps were very comprable and IAT2 temps wereminimally affected.

I realize I may suck in some warmer air, but my main concern is CFM restriction

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
I wondered at what point my K&N would be "enough" of a filter as well. I am running the Accufab/Stock Pipe/BA2400/K&N. So far it has done well. I cant see how a larger filter wouldnt ALWAYS help? Maybe I am wrong.

But if the temps end up being the same as you are driving or a very close....I wouldnt spend the dollars towards the "In Fender Kits"

I even have the C&L Aluminum Intake Tube and I see NO diff between the stock one. In fact the guy with the Bad Ass Sonic Blue Cobra that was from out of state had the stock tube!! I couldnt believe that.

B_Pay

Regular
May 17, 2006
firstsvt said:

Jason

Did you spend $400 on a larger throttle body? If so, I'd say get the larger filter otherwise I'd stick with what you got.

I still haven't seen enough data to convince me that larger throttle bodies and filters are worth the cost. If anyone has it I'd like to see it. I say you dyno tune your set-up with both for the benefit of everyone :biggthump

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I have to ask where is the data that supports placing the air filter in the fenderwell is the same as having an open air filter under the hood in reference to IAT? I may be looking at this from the standpoint of....engine is hot so the air surronding the engine is hot versus air out side the engine is going to be at a cooler temp which equals lower IAT. I not trying to be an ass but I got the fenderwell intake based on that logic does anyone agree or disagree? Let me know

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
With regards to the whole fenderwell versus engine bay filter location another thing people may want to pay attention to is not the the whole idle compared to "at speed" differences but also the gain off idle when going WOT. When launching it is critical to have as much power as possible to the ground. Also when launching you aren't really moving very fast yet so there isn't much airflow going on in the engine bay yet. Now of course once you get going then undehood temps are damn near spot on with ambient. I fabbed my own fenderwell CAI for my twin screw setup so I could make sure I was pulling the coldest air possible at all times including the launch, not just at speed.

BTW, I am running a 10" filter also and it will be just fine with the 17psi I am pulling through it with my KB 2.2. Like what was said before, you already have the 10" and there will not be a large enough gain to warrant spending the money again to swap to a slightly larger filter, especially when there are other smaller bottlenecks in the intake tract.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info