• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Project interior work finally winding down

04snake

speed happy
Jan 5, 2006
Here are some of the last shots of the interior, just waiting on the anti-roll bar set-up from Miller Race Cars and then the mufflers and tail pipes can be fabbed followed by testing and tuning at the track. Not really coming to grips with the reality the 16 mos project is finally winding down.

I went with the non-woven Kirkey covers, they were a little cheaper but I just liked the way they looked better, don't care if they don't wear as good, I will just replace them if needed
2007-0224_Cobra24-800.jpg

Not much padding but I got the wide rides so they shouldn't be that bad, I'm not planning any long cross country rides anymore! Short rides shouldn't be at all, my back is at a good angle, my hips and legs can move freely without getting pinched down. They will be hot, no doubt but I was surprised how molded they seemed to be, they know how to make a functional seat
2007-0224_Cobra26-800.jpg

The anti-submarine belt of the Simpson Cam lock system, nice setup
2007-0224_Cobra29-800.jpg

The RidgidRaceCars billet Kirkey mount for mustangs only leaves a tiny hole in the Stock carpet, I'll fix it with a swatch and some hot glue
2007-0224_Cobra30-800.jpg

The billet mount fits right in to the interior IMHO
2007-0224_Cobra31-800.jpg

I think I have kept my interior stock appearing with all added functionality blended in a Pro Stock tradition. Clean but not blinged up.
2007-0224_Cobra28-800.jpg

The LM-1 presents somewhat of a problem, I can keep it on top of the console, using the power plug inside the console, where it was before but we are thinking about fabbing a mount to have it suspended in front and to the right of the right side air duct, angled toward me if I can reach the record button while belted in. It will be slicker than a cue ball if we do it, but not sure if I can reach it and the LM-1 is so big there is no other place that would work without obscuring something else. I never worried about seeing it before but with the NOS I may be able to spot a problem if it was higher and in my sight lines near the shift light. I always look at my AFR logs after rolling back to the pits but who knows I might be able to get out of it mid pass if I have a fuel problem and go blow-up lean, especially while I am developing the new NOS tunes.
2007-0224_Cobra32-800.jpg

This is the spot I think I will velcro mount the SCT Raptor data-logger, it was just loose on the floor before but I think I will clean up the wires and have one less thing flopping around. Not interested in hiding it in the glove box because I will have to be able to plug the laptop in and out of it after every pass so I want it really easy to access thru the passenger side door
2007-0224_Cobra34-800.jpg

I have the other 18" wide Drag Kirkey to install on the passenger side complete with 5-point Simpson Cam Lock belts and removable laptop mount system and the interior is complete except for some more cleaning.

Soooo close, getting so darn close! :toast:

04snake

speed happy
Jan 5, 2006
blubyu said:
Looks great! Why don't you cut out those cup holders and put the LM1 there, or put an aluminum plate over them?

Nice setup!

that is where it was last year and where it will lay next to the E-Brake unless I can think of a better home. I'm just running on empty, when it comes to ideas, pretty much ran thru them all to get to this point! Something will come to me.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
noavgcobra said:
looks great but why cant you guys tear up the gt's a leave the real cobras alone. tough to find good clean ones.. but still looks great!

same reason why i WOULD tear into a 69 yenko camaro and make it a drag car. cause i can and its fun. i find no fun in owning a 40 year old performance car only to have it sit and do nothing :headbang:

04snake

speed happy
Jan 5, 2006
noavgcobra said:
looks great but why cant you guys tear up the gt's a leave the real cobras alone. tough to find good clean ones.. but still looks great!

easy boys leave this dude alone.

hey there Captain, relax, there are plenty of Cobra's left with owners that go to sleep at night in a cold sweat trying to decide if they should change the upper pulley or swap a catback on there. They will eventually puss out and their wife will make them sell their Cobra, they have no business actually owning, for a mini-van and it will sell for more than it did originally. It will be saved for a guy like you to wax and drive to cruise-ins. I am a member of a Shelby Cobra club and I like to look at the perfectly restored, number matched Stangs and Cobras and if they can understand why it is within my choice to do what I want with a car, old farts into classic restoration up to their eyeballs, then a young guy yourself should understand why in a free country we are actually free to do what we want and to each their own.

I get this crap all the time but I don't let it bother me, I did what I wanted and it was not to please or impress anyone but myself. My wife understands me enough to know not to try to understand me, if that makes any sense but outsiders will of course have trouble seeing my goals let alone understand why I am striving for them!

When I see guys that are happy with their bone stock Cobras I wish them well and to be truthful a little envious because it would have been a whole lot simpler (& cheaper) if that could have made me happy as well, it didn't and I make NO apologies.

- stu

hi16 said:
So instead you would destroy it? Makes perfect sense to me

Please read your signature and APPLY IT to yourself

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
i do agree with you and i went nuts on my 98 cobra and did all i could eventually got tired of it breaking and picked up my 04. i envy your speed and time spent in and on your car and it is very impressive. i like the simple mods and air conditioning. i do know that given enough time i will get the itch and be contacting you for advice on what i should do next... hey good luck and keep it up i do enjoy seeing what you are doing...

04snake

speed happy
Jan 5, 2006
vnmpind said:
did you make that guage panel or buy it?

the radio delete piece? The guys name is Alan and his company is named SpeedofSound Pods and mostly sells pillar pods. The only thing to keep in mind is that he used autometers to test fit with and my SpeedHut custom gauges have a slightly larger body size that caused me fits. The mini-grinder came out for some "final fit adjustments" if you know what I mean. I liked the final result, it looks clean and functional with NO bling factor, almost OEM at first glance, that was what I was shooting for. I mean if you think I don't like they way the car's interior looked as stock, you are wrong. To me all the Steeda like chrome and colored inserts and the way the 05 interior looks like it will blind you in the bright sun is too much, no I love the functional, no-nonsense look of my 04 and try to make every new or modified piece, match the original's interior look, it can't be beat.

I think the gauges I designed online are restpectful to the original interior?

SpeedHut_Water4.jpg

SpeedHut_Oil2.jpg

SpeedHut_Nitrous13.jpg

SpeedHut_Fuel19.jpg

SpeedHut_SpeedHut_Volts16.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info