• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How much will DR's help on the street?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
As most of you already know, any kind of street tire with our pullied or more mod terminators mean no traction at all in 1st or 2nd. And with the weather being cold, I can spin them in third with only a roll on the gas at any speed. I was wondering if getting DR's for the street and weekend strip visits will significantly help my traction issues. I really dont feel my car is that fast because I can never wail on it in first or second. When I hit the strip, Im usually in awe on how fast the car is because it really sticks on an off idle launch. But out on the street, its a lost cause. My driving habbits with the cobra are sunny/clear and dry weather only, no wet driving. So should I get them for the summer, and if so which brand? I only drive 3k miles or so a year so im not worried about them lasting. What are your thoughts on this for a street car with weekend strip runs?

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
You really have no business having regular street tires on a Terminator. I run Nitto 315 DRs on one set of wheels and my Hoosier 335 on another set of 10.5's. With the Kb 2.2, my nitto's handle like regular street tires and my hoosiers feel like nitto dr's used to feel like. Oh yeah, if you go with MT or Hoosiers, you will never have wheel hop when the temps over 65.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
cobraj said:
Do you guys with drags have problems with rocks sticking to them and flinging on the side of the car. I guess this would only apply to those with the 315s and spacers where the tires stick out more.

Yes. Even with 275s, you will get rocks kicking off the fenders. If you are worried about it, get some of that clear coating film and stick it on to protect them.

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
yea but you have to pay sale tax on that shit, It would be cheaper to have them shipped out to your door. Try lethal performance, they will match any price

I am confident we can match the price.

The lack of shipping and special handling fees for tires with tax it would still be same or cheaper.

thanks for showing support for the sponsors :confused:

B

Boost12

RD SNAKE said:
yea but you have to pay sale tax on that shit, It would be cheaper to have them shipped out to your door. Try lethal performance, they will match any price
Larry from speed Could beat Lethals price! I bought a few things from Lethal back in the day and they did not even have the shit in stock but never told me so I was waiting for like 3 weeks for it to come :cool: Jared from Lethal is cool but I would much rather stay local and go to Speed Inc :headbang: Thats just my opinion though. Ive bought a few sets of DR's from Larry and the prices were awsome!

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I must agree that for running around town the DR's are definately an awesome tire. Does this mean that 17 X 10.5's with a street tire like the BFG KD, or a Michealn Pilot, etc., will NOT be much better than the stock tires on the street?

Personally I don't like DR's because they tend to allow a weird sort of weight transfer at high speeds and make the tail too loose for me to trust, especially when zooming off a ramp at high speed. I was hoping that the bigger wheel with BFG KD's or a similar sticky street tire would provide the traction I need.

Please tell me I didn't waste the money on my new 17 x 10.5 AFS replica's. How about some Nitto 315's on the 10" wheels...anyone try that? I like the Nitto for price and stability since it's more of a "STREET" Drag Radial than the BFG or MT which is DEFINATELY a "TRACK" Drag Radial......Please advise.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Wider doesn't give you more traction on regular tires, DR's do because of the material (softer, stickier, grippy). No you didn't waste money on the wider wheels, they are good for DR's....

not sure running a wider tire in the rear helps with handling or not. I do know that with nitto 315 DR's on 17x10.5's are great for straight line, but taking turns even slightly hard will whip the rear out

When I want to handle better ie. circle track mode, I throw on the stock wheels/tires in the rear. I'm sure there's a better tire. But I would assume the same size rim in the front and rear = better overall balance to the chassis for better handling. But you give up straight line traction if you have goofy power levels like most of us do.

Since 1964 said:
I must agree that for running around town the DR's are definately an awesome tire. Does this mean that 17 X 10.5's with a street tire like the BFG KD, or a Michealn Pilot, etc., will NOT be much better than the stock tires on the street?

Personally I don't like DR's because they tend to allow a weird sort of weight transfer at high speeds and make the tail too loose for me to trust, especially when zooming off a ramp at high speed. I was hoping that the bigger wheel with BFG KD's or a similar sticky street tire would provide the traction I need.

Please tell me I didn't waste the money on my new 17 x 10.5 AFS replica's. How about some Nitto 315's on the 10" wheels...anyone try that? I like the Nitto for price and stability since it's more of a "STREET" Drag Radial than the BFG or MT which is DEFINATELY a "TRACK" Drag Radial......Please advise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info