• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

spark plug question

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I just researched plugs this morning. From what I have found:

There is a rumored issue that high boost would tend to blow out the spark or lead to problems with quenching. Since the iridium plugs are a very fine tip, they would be easier to blow out.

All indications however are that the iridium plugs used in the Cobra motors do not suffer any such issues even with high boost. Possibly, the lower voltage requirements of the iridium plugs produce a stronger spark.

Now my experience:

The stock plugs in my Lightning led to a rough idle as they aged. I put a set of Denso Iridiums in, and it was as smooth as can be.

I was going to change the plugs on the Cobra. I liked the Densos with the Lightning, but there have been wide reports of the centers of them cracking in the Cobras. That, coupled with the $12 pricetag, has led me to order a set of the NGK TR7IX (NGK's equivalent iridium plug). Rock Auto sells them for $7.20 each - $64 total shipped.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
The tips break off on the Denso iridiums and do damage to the motor. Plenty of threads on this on modfords and svtperf.

The NGK TR IX series which are iridium have held up, no reports of tips breaking off.

Don't use Denso Iridiums unless you really want to risk it - and I think it WILL happen.

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
FuelSlut said:
ok I run denso irridium plugs. I know most of us run irridiums on here. Now I heard that we should stay away from irridium on higher boost. Did any one else hear or read about this?

I ran the Iridiums just like everyone else. I suffered from spark blowout about 5800 rpms. Replaced with NGK TG6's gapped at .034 with the granitelli Coil Packs and it idles and runs like a banche.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
ILLINI-SVT said:
I just researched plugs this morning. From what I have found:

There is a rumored issue that high boost would tend to blow out the spark or lead to problems with quenching. Since the iridium plugs are a very fine tip, they would be easier to blow out.

All indications however are that the iridium plugs used in the Cobra motors do not suffer any such issues even with high boost. Possibly, the lower voltage requirements of the iridium plugs produce a stronger spark.

Now my experience:

The stock plugs in my Lightning led to a rough idle as they aged. I put a set of Denso Iridiums in, and it was as smooth as can be.

I was going to change the plugs on the Cobra. I liked the Densos with the Lightning, but there have been wide reports of the centers of them cracking in the Cobras. That, coupled with the $12 pricetag, has led me to order a set of the NGK TR7IX (NGK's equivalent iridium plug). Rock Auto sells them for $7.20 each - $64 total shipped.
So to be safe run the ngk tr6 or 7 and what abut the coils?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
How much HP and Boost are you planning on making (eaton?) This determines which plug you should use (cold or colder), what gap - and as for the coils, there really isn't anything available yet. Weapon-X is supposed to come out with them "any week now" and Granatelli as well (the old granatelli's don't fit correctly and it's a total hack-up job).

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
ChicagoMike said:
How much HP and Boost are you planning on making (eaton?) This determines which plug you should use (cold or colder), what gap - and as for the coils, there really isn't anything available yet. Weapon-X is supposed to come out with them "any week now" and Granatelli as well (the old granatelli's don't fit correctly and it's a total hack-up job).
This spring i plan on getting a KB/whipple. I dont plan on ever seeing over 650rwhp. 550-600rwhp on the street on 17psi, and 19-20psi for track only.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info