• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Why are cams a no-no on Terminators?

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I have always wanted a lopey, muscle car-like sound on my Terminator, but for the price, just the sound isn't worth it. Why are aftermarket cams not worth the cost on Cobras? Is it because the stocks cams are very efficient? Or is it something else. If I can justify spending the cash on cams, I would. However, based on my recent research, it seems that it's just a lot of cash for a nice sounding motor...that's it.

-Mike

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Tuning them is a nightmare. I know at least half a dozen people who have had problems with their tune after adding cams. Seems like the computer keeps trying to adjust the tune back into accepted parameters which don't work with the cams.

For the power cams will give you, nitrous is a much cheaper and easier solution.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Flyn high again said:
Tuning them is a nightmare. I know at least half a dozen people who have had problems with their tune after adding cams. Seems like the computer keeps trying to adjust the tune back into accepted parameters which don't work with the cams.

For the power cams will give you, nitrous is a much cheaper and easier solution.

Turning the adaptive learning off will solve this problem.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
SonicBlur said:
I have always wanted a lopey, muscle car-like sound on my Terminator, but for the price, just the sound isn't worth it. Why are aftermarket cams not worth the cost on Cobras? Is it because the stocks cams are very efficient? Or is it something else. If I can justify spending the cash on cams, I would. However, based on my recent research, it seems that it's just a lot of cash for a nice sounding motor...that's it.

-Mike
The answers to your questions are contained within your post.

There are power gains to be had, but the "bang for the buck" ratio is poor, especially if you haven't already upgraded to a twin-screw blower. Nevermind the added complexity associated with tuning them.

IMO, for most of us street car guys cams are only practical and cost effective if you've already got the longblock apart for other upgrades.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Zack said:
Turning the adaptive learning off will solve this problem.

Seems like this info took a while to filter down to many shops and some may still not know it. I know more than one cammed Terminator that ran good for a few days and then had the tune degenerate. :D

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
SonicBlur said:

-Mike

Mike, just for your info, I paid $850 for the crower 3's, $500 for the springs etc, and about $500 to install the springs and degree all of the cams, this is also with the engine out of the car for a rebuild.

So like $1850 for cams is like almost a twin screw for you.

another FYI, cams with a eaton car ='s less hp/tq, horrible drivabilty.

For you I would save the cash and do the twin screw.

The only reason I have cams is because the engine is out of the car. I also went back and forth for a couple of weeks about doing the cams. I just hope I don't regret it. If so Im gonna have to pull the engine and switch out the cams :(

gnxs said:
IMO, for most of us street car guys cams are only practical and cost effective if you've already got the longblock apart for other upgrades.

:foshizzle

We'll see if I have any problems with my cams, hope not :dunno: :dunno:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Flyn high again said:
Seems like this info took a while to filter down to many shops and some may still not know it. I know more than one cammed Terminator that ran good for a few days and then had the tune degenerate. :D

It is plain scary that those people are allowed to touch other peoples cars, let alone get paid for it! Understanding how adaptive learning works is a basic understanding with tuning.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
VenomInside said:
+1.. mike, don't you remember the probs with my car and cams?
Actually, your situation is what kept me from just biting the bulllet with a cam setup. I really didn't think about it but paying a little extra later for a Kenne Bell has a greater gain than any set of cams could offer. But I wish there was a way to get that damn sound....well, other than running aroung with vacuumm hoses loose, LOL!!

-Mike

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
SonicBlur said:
Actually, your situation is what kept me from just biting the bulllet with a cam setup. I really didn't think about it but paying a little extra later for a Kenne Bell has a greater gain than any set of cams could offer. But I wish there was a way to get that damn sound....well, other than running aroung with vacuumm hoses loose, LOL!!

-Mike

Maybe this will change your mind. Not my car, but man is this nice.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cobra+cams/0/9ef5df48-f74e-42d8-a6a1-f4eab710b5ca.htm

Or this.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cobra+cams/0/a432f2a8-8ca7-4004-ab3a-2f071f1c6fda.htm

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
VenomInside said:
+1.. mike, don't you remember the probs with my car and cams?

Didn't some company get caught sending out the WRONG cams which caused all the troubles people just like you had? I guess now people (mechanics) have to confirm the cams by measuring them to see if they are the right ones first?

If this applies to your car, can you imagine the horror of trying to get that car tuned, only to be screwed no matter what? That must have sucked. I really DO NOT know your story, but when I read about the bad cams I think it was "COMP" cams that was sending out the wrong ones. Anyway, that must have sucked.

I'd love to have that sound though, it is cool.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info