• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

DR's for 17" wheels????

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
I've been looking for some new tires for the car since the Nitto's just don't cut it at the track, nor on the street for that matter w/ my HP. I was thinking of some BFG's for the street and then some MT DR's for the track. Problem is:

The BFG's look like they only really come in 18's. :confused:

and

The MT's only come in 275's for 17" wheels. I know these are supposed to be a lot better than the Nitto's, but only 275's? Will those be wide enough???? :dunno:

What do you guys w/ 17's run other than Nitto's?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Don't you realize by now that every one that is running good has one good thing? MT DR's 275's, so far good for 12's, 11's, and if I remember correctly 10's!

Start with those... and they should be good for one whole track season. Then make your decision, you won't be upset! I shoud have let you borrow mine when I was crippled, didn't even cross my mind until now, doh!

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
Flatliner said:
Don't you realize by now that every one that is running good has one good thing? MT DR's 275's, so far good for 12's, 11's, and if I remember correctly 10's!

Start with those... and they should be good for one whole track season. Then make your decision, you won't be upset! I shoud have let you borrow mine when I was crippled, didn't even cross my mind until now, doh!

how about 9's @ 140 + mph

275/17' s :D

They fit great on 10-11" wheels as Jim and Dan run them on their TT beasts.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
MGT2002 said:
BFG's come in 17's. they have them for a good price at speed inc infact. they make 275/40r17's or 315/35r17's

bfg's will do pretty good at the track too

I had checked Speed Inc's site and didn't see any of the new tread style for the BFG's. Even discounttiredirect only shows the "original tread style" available in 17's:

mtahzf.l.jpg

I was looking for the newer (tougher imo) looking tread:

mtahzj.l.jpg

I guess if both perform the same then it doesn't really matter. :dunno: I'll have to drop Larry an email and see what kind of prices they've got.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
SVT SPEED 04 said:
how about 9's @ 140 + mph

275/17' s :D

They fit great on 10-11" wheels as Jim and Dan run them on their TT beasts.

So do the MT 275's actually run wider than the Nitto 315's? :confused: Would they fit on some OEM 17 x 9 Cobra wheels? I know it's not ALL about width, but the wider, the better...

I know I saw a comparison a while ago that showed the different brands/sizes/widths but I can't remember how they all panned out.

Anyhow... Larry... could you let me know what kind of prices you guys have for the 315/??/17 BFG's and the 275/17 MT's?

Thanks! :biggthump

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Wiked03 said:
No question that the 275 MTs rock, but I don't think they will fit on a 10.5" rim. They do fit great on the 9" rims though... They were supposed to release a 315 size, but I don't know if they ever did.

I think there is a 315 Hoosier DR as well.

If the 275's will fit on stock wheels, and will work great for the track, then I'd probably do that since I've still got mine laying around.

Haven't really looked much into the Hoosier's at all. Anyone have experience/comments about them?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
svtslowcar said:
the hoosiers i think are 335 though and huge, you have to get wheel spacers to run them, my frined has them on his 17 X10.5 and they wont fit on the stock set-up. and they are not streetable, they are closer to a slick then the MT Dr's

They've got both 315 and 335 for the Hoosiers (http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...sier-315-35-17-drag-radial-free-shipping.html)

They do seem more like slicks than DR's though, but if I'm just going to use them for the track, then that's not too much of a worry. I've also got 3/8" spacers for the rear. Not sure if that would be enough to clear the 335's, but should be for the 315's. :dunno:

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
DSG03COBRA said:
They've got both 315 and 335 for the Hoosiers (http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...sier-315-35-17-drag-radial-free-shipping.html)

They do seem more like slicks than DR's though, but if I'm just going to use them for the track, then that's not too much of a worry. I've also got 3/8" spacers for the rear. Not sure if that would be enough to clear the 335's, but should be for the 315's. :dunno:

if you run the 335 hoosiers, then you'll need spacers and the fender lip rolled. PM Andy aka Cobravenom39 about it, he has that set up

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
as mentioned....Jim and Dan run them on 10.5 and 11" wheels. They fit great and have no sidewall bulge ( sp? ) to them. This in turn gives you advantage to every bit of the tread.

Jim's TT SS makes about 900 rwhp and he can go full boost in 1st gear with min tire spin since the MT Radials.

I would run nothing else but these tires on my own car. I don't think you get a better tire for overall street and drag strip use with very good tread wear. IMO

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
SVT SPEED 04 said:
as mentioned....Jim and Dan run them on 10.5 and 11" wheels. They fit great and have no sidewall bulge ( sp? ) to them. This in turn gives you advantage to every bit of the tread.

Jim's TT SS makes about 900 rwhp and he can go full boost in 1st gear with min tire spin since the MT Radials.

I would run nothing else but these tires on my own car. I don't think you get a better tire for overall street and drag strip use with very good tread wear. IMO

If Jim's is the red one I saw at GLD Supra event... damn that thing moves! I hole shotted him, but only to be passed like I was driving Miss Daisy! :crying:

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
do not think the 18's are out yet ?

I know they are working on some sizes . I really hope they come out with some in the 285-315 range. I would like a set for the Notch which I have 18x9 R's on. I plan to swap to 17's come spring if not.

These tires I run on my dad's Z/28 all summer long. They have much better life I feel the BFG and hook awesome.

we put the car to a best of 1.47 60 ft on 275/17 's :biggthump

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
Billy Cobra said:
...Do you all just leave them on for the street or change to them at the track?

What kind of front tire do you all run w/ the DR's?

You get hooked with these things... I ended up leaving them on 90% of the time, cause once you have traction, you don't want to give it up! However, if you drive your car every day and it rains, I caution that these DR's SHOULD NOT be on the car. All of us have stories... if that is the case then you can change them out at the track or don't get caught in the rain!

As far as front tires, doesn't really matter unless you have skinnies. I have 18x9's with cheapy Nexxen's on the front when I have my 17 DR's on the back. Unless you look closely you wouldn't realize it, but you can tell the fronts are 18's.

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
RAIN : IMO The M/T's have more tread then a Nitto and great tread design to help channel water. We where only in the rain once with my dad's car and it was great. I can see with any DR if they are worn having issues.

The BFG's on the other hand I do not think have as good of design to channel water and could make for a bad ride if caught in heavy rain.

I know BFG's have claimed many accidents in wet weather.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
SVT SPEED 04 said:
RAIN : IMO The M/T's have more tread then a Nitto and great tread design to help channel water. We where only in the rain once with my dad's car and it was great. I can see with any DR if they are worn having issues.

The BFG's on the other hand I do not think have as good of design to channel water and could make for a bad ride if caught in heavy rain.

I know BFG's have claimed many accidents in wet weather.

honestly, with a good amount of tread, i had no problem in the rain with mine. i had the old style tread pattern

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info