• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

WTF???!!! Rear E-Brake Lines...

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
So I was just replacing my rotors and pads on the rear to see if that resolves my wobbling wheel issue (which I think it did...) and when I got over to the passenger side, I found this...

brakelinesqx9.jpg

brakelines1mi9.jpg

It looks like the friggin' e-brake line isn't run through the hole it's supposed to, but rather is under the halfshaft. I pulled it out a little and I can see that the plastic has been rubbed off the line, and it's down to the metal casing, but the cable inside is still fine. It looks like you've got to take the whole assembly apart to get it out from inside there and then feed it through the hole.

Anyone else have this problem on theirs? Anyone wanna check? I haven't had any work done on the rear brakes, so this is straight from the factory. :dunno:

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Mine was not like that when I did my solid swap. Whatever you do, dont remove the spring that I circled, you'll never get it back on at home, its a tough SOB, then you'll have no e-brake.

Just compress it enough to pull the e-brake line off the end through the hole.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
firstsvt said:
Mine was not like that when I did my solid swap. Whatever you do, dont remove the spring that I circled, you'll never get it back on at home, its a tough SOB, then you'll have no e-brake.

Just compress it enough to pull the e-brake line off the end through the hole.

:laughing2 I didn't realize that you had just used the pic I posted... I was like, "dude... you line IS the same as mine..." . Yeah, I haven't touched the spring, I just pull the cable enough to get it out of the clip and then feed it back so I can access the lower bolt. Problem is... with the line snagged under the halfshaft (if that really is what it is...) I can't feed it back far enough to get the cable out of the upper hole and access the lower bolt. ugh... :crying:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Is the e brake cable still bolted to the inner wheelwell tie down? If so, take that screw out to give you more freeplay.

I, too, removed one of those springs when I was working on the brakes. Huge mistake. It took me most of a day to figure out how to compress it enough to get it back in. I ended up compressing it a little bit at a time in my vise and tieing it up each couple turns with several strong metal wire ties. As I got close to getting the spring completely compressed, one of the ties broke and I thought for an instant that the spring was going to decompress at once and fly around the garage. The other two ties held and I got the spring back in. It's scary holding a wire tied, compressed spring in your hand.

I used a screwdriver to compress and pivot the other side to remove the cable and wanted to kick myself for how easy it was to release the cable that way.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Flyn high again said:
Is the e brake cable still bolted to the inner wheelwell tie down? If so, take that screw out to give you more freeplay.

Nope, I unbolted that one too... The cable is pinched under there (not talking about the end of it by the spring) and I can't feed it out from under it, and I can't just pull it out laterally... It's like I've got to start disassembling the rear to get it free...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info