• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What spark plugs do ported high boosted guys run these days?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I currently have NGK BR7EF (with the V-Groove *not* BR7EFS solid) gapped at .028 and I notice some lag at low RPMs (like someone just threw out an anchor, weird pulling feeling like it gets dragged back then goes) but once it gets up there it GOES. I have a couple thousand miles on them so it's probably time for some new plugs.

I'm going to do this when it comes out of storage in the Spring, and possibly upgrade to the 60,000 volt coilpacks and Granatelli COPS.

Ported eaton, 3.1 upper/6# lower for 16-17 lbs. of boost.

Recommend plug and gap? using the granaetelli upgrade, I can supposedly open up the gap... so I was thinking about .035 ?

Mike

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Oncebitten03 said:
.028 on just boost is too tight, open it up some

i run tr6's around .034-.036 on boost (ported eaton, 18-19lbs) and around .028 with a 100shot
The shop I took my car to gapped my tr6 plugs at .028 with just stock blower,2.76 upper only,4pc.idlers,k&n fipk,flowmaster catback and dyno tuned with xcal2.

The car runs/idles great.

What are the disadvantages of too tight of a gap? :dunno:

Thanks.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
all boosted cars that i work with run small gaps.. i suggest going with a gap no bigger then .030 but more along the lines of .025... i tested gapping on the dyno and showed an increase in power from .030 to .025.. (yes, backwards you might think).. the spark burned cleaner and the car accelerated smoother..

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
zenriddles said:
Honest question = I'm Old School, Windsor heads.
I would say run copper plugs at .035 and change them every 20 k or so.
Platy's and Iridium with boost are a no no in my world, too hot, causes detonaton.

These OHC blown motors don't seem to mind as much. Enlighten me?

i would say no to copper, but i run iridiums now on my car this year.. picked up 8rwhp average and 5rwhp at peak... this was on a 1122rwhp car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info