• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Found the noise...

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Only the third time out on the solid... :mad:

Started hearing a strange noise on the launch, so I quit making passes.

Noise got worse on the way home... I would hear/feel a thud when moving from a dead stop. Finally took the time to look under the car and found this.

Driver's side
IMG_3107.JPG

Passenger side
IMG_3106.JPG

Not sure what caused this, or what do do about it.... :dunno:

Gonna call Hans about it tomorrow... but I figured I would post up here to see if anyone has any ideas.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
YIKES! looks like you ripped out the troque boxes, not good, if this is the problem you have to cut it out and weld a new one in. It's kinda like redoing a really old car, you know cutting out the floor boards and such. very not cool. I belive, a co. called "wild rides" I belive sells new stronger torque boxes.

01Sleeper

TCG Elite Member
Dec 11, 2004
Wiked03 said:
Only the third time out on the solid... :mad:

Started hearing a strange noise on the launch, so I quit making passes.

Noise got worse on the way home... I would hear/feel a thud when moving from a dead stop. Finally took the time to look under the car and found this.

Driver's side
IMG_3107.JPG

Passenger side
IMG_3106.JPG

Not sure what caused this, or what do do about it.... :dunno:

Gonna call Hans about it tomorrow... but I figured I would post up here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thats not good, it definately didn't sound good the ride home either. Good luck with the fix

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Looks like you just crushed out the bushing. Looks like run of the mill Energy Suspension Bushing material - should be easy enough to locate and replace. Replacing looks as hard as getting the bolt out, snapping in new bushings, and putting the bolt back in.
Two thoughts - If it did it once, chances are good it can do it again. You probably need a tougher material in there to match your driving style. Second, I'd consider changing the bushings on both sides of the car - i.e. both arms, both ends of each arm.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Looks like its just the bushing to me...those are crap, been there done that with mine, pick up a set of these UPR's or some other kind with the rod ends (heim joints) and never worry about em again.Weld the stock boxes, install TQ box plates, and use a strong UCA=good for life :biggthump

UCA_ALL_LRG.gif

I would also encourage a set of TQ box reinforcements, like these below from UMI, so those new, strong UCAs dont rip the damn boxes out of the car.

1001a.jpg

This is the kind of shit that starts to happen when you 60' in the 1.5's and lower, parts start dying on you :eek:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Carl it does look like the boxes are fine from these pics, just looks like you destroyed the bushings and possibly the control arm ends. Depending on how you want your street manors you could upgrade to the solid bushing metco's but you'll definetly need the torque boxes welded to prevent ripping them out. Otherwise you can go with the same style you currently have and have this happen again down the road.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
cap42 said:
Carl it does look like the boxes are fine from these pics, just looks like you destroyed the bushings and possibly the control arm ends. Depending on how you want your street manors you could upgrade to the solid bushing metco's but you'll definetly need the torque boxes welded to prevent ripping them out. Otherwise you can go with the same style you currently have and have this happen again down the road.

The control arms look ok to me, but it hard to tell with them in the car.

Assuming the control arms are still ok, can I just put some solid bushings in there, or do I really have to replace the whole control arm? Those are the Steeda HD adjustable Uppers, they are supposed to be pretty stout. So I would rather not replace them.

And yes, the TQ boxes will be reinforced & welded at the same time.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Even with the problems, I was still able to cut a 1.58 :headbang:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Not sure if the steeda's will accept a solid bushing, it will be alot easier to replace the urethane bushings with another set of urethane. But going with a solid bushing will take more abuse at the track, just be prepared to have a much harsher ride.

Once those bushing's start ripping and tearing out of their seat like in your pic (specially pic #2), your hitting metal on metal it's possible there's no damage to the control arm but not likely.

Good luck either way buddy. :biggthump

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Carl, when you say a solid bushing, do you mean having some aluminum ones made up to put in there? In my experience and findings is that you are better off with a spherical rod end type control arm because it will allow the control arm to articulate and not bind up.

The problem with a solid bushing is that yes, it is strong, but it doesnt allow the suspension to move like it needs to, and this causes binding, which in turn damages parts.

If it were me, I'd call Steeda to see if they could send you the rod ends to your UCA's since the arms are like 3 separate pieces anyways.

After what my bushings and UCAs looked like just a week ago, I wouldnt put another bushing in there because at your rate, it wont last long :biggthump

I lost absolutely no ride quality when I put in those UPR UCA's by the way, but my car doesnt ride like a Cadillac to begin with..... hope this helps

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Wow that sucks. Looks like it was a bad day for a few of us. Your bushings, Angel ripping out his torque box and my clutch went. At least you guys were able to get home with out paying for a tow.

Jayson is right you might want to look into the rod ends for your car if you plan on beating on it like that. lol Steeda has real good customer service. I bet they will hook you up. I have been using and installing there stuff for years. With the couple of issues I had they were happy to make them right. Good luck!

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Just talked to Steeda... and they were very helpful.

Basically I was told this happened because we greased the bushing, they said they should not be greased at all.... makes me wonder why they have a damn zerk fitting on there then! :dunno: :mad:

They are replacing the bushings for me though... should have them soon.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade to the spherical ends because they require a different control arm. :(

In the interest of keeping it cheap, I am just gonna replace the bushings, with no grease this time, and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will pick up those UPR control arms.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions guys!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Wiked03 said:
Just talked to Steeda... and they were very helpful.

Basically I was told this happened because we greased the bushing, they said they should not be greased at all.... makes me wonder why they have a damn zerk fitting on there then! :dunno: :mad:

They are replacing the bushings for me though... should have them soon.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade to the spherical ends because they require a different control arm. :(

In the interest of keeping it cheap, I am just gonna replace the bushings, with no grease this time, and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will pick up those UPR control arms.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions guys!

Let us know if the replacements hold up any better without the grease.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Wiked03 said:

I actually put that in my post based on past experiences with urethane bushings, but then removed it before sending when I saw the zerks in your pix plain as day. Wonder if that is a multi-use arm end for them and they have OTHER applications which might require the grease fittings? :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info