• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

AC compressor is toast

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
well,

car wasn't cranking, so I suspected a bad battery. I went out and bought a battery charger, charged the battery overnight and now I got the engine to turn over, but only once before it would start to squeel like a pig. I took the belt of and checked all the accessories, and the AC was seized.

I am in the process of removing the compressor now. I guess I will have to get a new one next week. Is it ok to let the freons evaporate or can i seal the system without letting the gasses out? I have never done any maintenance on the AC system before.

Where should I go for a new ac compressor? Ford charges a leg and a half for a new one... maybe try the classifieds here?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
02mingreyconv said:
well,

car wasn't cranking, so I suspected a bad battery. I went out and bought a battery charger, charged the battery overnight and now I got the engine to turn over, but only once before it would start to squeel like a pig. I took the belt of and checked all the accessories, and the AC was seized.

I am in the process of removing the compressor now. I guess I will have to get a new one next week. Is it ok to let the freons evaporate or can i seal the system without letting the gasses out? I have never done any maintenance on the AC system before.

Where should I go for a new ac compressor? Ford charges a leg and a half for a new one... maybe try the classifieds here?

I've know people that replaced whole engine before just because of a seized alternator, good find on your part. Now as for venting R134a into the atmosphere, which is very dangerous and also illegal. I couldn't tell you what to do in that situation, you would have to use your best judgement, Your best bet would be go to a shop and have them suck all of the 134 out, changed the compresser youself, then have them re-charged it. Napa or car quest should give you a good deal on a compressor, couple hundred dollars (rebuilt), maybe try ebay but some might be just as good as yours. Also don't forget to fill the new compressor with PAG oil or you'll just lock it up again. Sorry to hear about that, is the car still under warranty?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 02mingreyconv
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list