• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Wheel Bearing

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
While on the dyno last week, we noticed that the driver's side rear wheel was wobling a lot.

it looked freaky as the dyno runs hit 140mph

and as my luck would have it my warranty ended a few weeks ago.

anyone have any info or experience with the wheel bearing?

also fyi, that was the same side the previous owner snapped the half shaft on, at 2,500 miles and had it warrantied.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Cobra Jack said:
While on the dyno last week, we noticed that the driver's side rear wheel was wobling a lot.

it looked freaky as the dyno runs hit 140mph

and as my luck would have it my warranty ended a few weeks ago.

anyone have any info or experience with the wheel bearing?

also fyi, that was the same side the previous owner snapped the half shaft on, at 2,500 miles and had it warrantied.

Hans replaced my drivers rear wheel bearing at 32k miles. IIRC, the bearings aren't expensive ($50-$60) but they need to be pressed in.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Wiked03 said:
Hans replaced my drivers rear wheel bearing at 32k miles. IIRC, the bearings aren't expensive ($50-$60) but they need to be pressed in.

where did you purchase the bearing?

I'll probably end up doing it myself, and just have the bearing pressed in at a shop.

The nut has to be torqued down to 250ft/lbs or something crazy like that if my memory is correct

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
if the wheel bearing is shot the hub is probably shot too. they tend to spin in the bearing. if you have circumfrential grooves in it, toss it.

i have a press and the right tools to do this job (and i just happen to have new bearings and hubs on the shelf too)

hardest part is the giant snap ring.

with the knuckle on the workbench/press:
remove dust shield
press out hub (or pull hub off using billetflow-style puller)
remove giant snap ring
press out bearing
clean out bore in knuckle for new bearing
press in new bearing
replace giant snap ring
while supporting the inner race of the bearing, press in the hub (important to support the inner race)
replace dust shield

i recommend a new axle nut and loctite on the threads. i recommend against using an impact to tighten nuts that preload bearings, and this is no exception. 240 lb/ft. since the axle nut preloads the bearings, a loose nut will eat up the bearings quickly.

edit: hell i can even swap knuckles if you want. i have extras.
edit again: if you just need the hub and bearing RIGHT F'ING NOW i'll sell those too.
edited yet again: take the knuckle off the car and work on it on the workbench.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I need the rears done too now. I swear a launch did one of mine in and ALSO... both my fronts came bad on my car in the first place. Barely noticeable at first but noisey as all hell from 6000 on. Even though people asked neither I or they could agree they were bad and so we left it alone UNTIL Jerry at Sutton noticed it this spring and they put 2 new ones on in the front for me.

You guys should listen close to the fronts also while yer at it.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Thanks goes out to ShelbyGuy

I took the entire half shaft assembly out... drove it over to his house, grabbed some food, came back 45 mins later, the bearing and half shaft were replaced and everything re-assembled.

I just finished puting everything back together and I'm too tired for a test drive... so that will have to wait until the morning.

Now I need an alignment... (long story short, never use a hammer on the tie-rod bolt, apparently it's a pretty soft metal :mad: I had to go buy a tap and die set... I needed one anyhow)

so any alignment recommendations?

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Cobra Jack said:
Thanks goes out to ShelbyGuy

I took the entire half shaft assembly out... drove it over to his house, grabbed some food, came back 45 mins later, the bearing and half shaft were replaced and everything re-assembled.

I just finished puting everything back together and I'm too tired for a test drive... so that will have to wait until the morning.

Now I need an alignment... (long story short, never use a hammer on the tie-rod bolt, apparently it's a pretty soft metal :mad: I had to go buy a tap and die set... I needed one anyhow)

so any alignment recommendations?

Let me guess, Maxwell's for food???? :biggthump

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Cobra Jack said:

LMAO, I did the same thing!! I did manage to get it back on without re tapping it though.... had to use a jack to push the tie rod up and hold it in place.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Wiked03 said:
LMAO, I did the same thing!! I did manage to get it back on without re tapping it though.... had to use a jack to push the tie rod up and hold it in place.

I distorted the tie rod bolt, I couldn't even get the die started. So I had to take the entire tie rod out, and put it on my bench so that I could cut off about an 1/8" with the cut off wheel on my dremel.

Lesson learned.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
i have an extra toe link rod outer end if you fubar the one you have too bad.

i use fuller's in hinsdale (the mother location). they're kind of pricey but they dont screw it up and they totally kiss your ass and make you feel like they want your business.

on the list of things to buy for next year's track season are caster/camber gauges, a toe plate setup, turning plates, and maybe scales. i can do pretty good with a squared up pair of boards and some masons twine, though. laser schmaser!

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
The tie rod is fine.

I cut off about 1/8" with the dremel, and was able to get the nut back on.

I was able to leave enough nut above the cotter pin hole, to be able to use the cotter pin.

Vince what time would be good to drop off the torque wrench? I should be back in the area around noonish

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
pricey? mine was $20. "pitman arm puller"

this is precisely what drives me nuts about the so-called professionals. snap-on hot dog wagon filled with $10,000 worth of specialty tools and the first thing the guy reaches for to pop a tie rod end off is a hammer.

Mine was about $100.00, I belive it was OTC?

Jack, whenever... I have to run out for a bit cause the wife sent me an email that said only 2 shopping days left before Birthday and this was 2 days ago. So I guess this is her subtle hint not to forget her birthday again. :-o

Just leave it by the front door if I am not home.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mystic Terminator said:
Mine was about $100.00, I belive it was OTC?

Jack, whenever... I have to run out for a bit cause the wife sent me an email that said only 2 shopping days left before Birthday and this was 2 days ago. So I guess this is her subtle hint not to forget her birthday again. :-o

Just leave it by the front door if I am not home.

Yowtch! Don't forget her birthday or you will pay... and pay... and pay... :eek:h:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
cyac5l8trfcar said:
if you haven't had it aligned and feel like going for a cruise I'll align it for ya. I'm in antioch, Il. it's just past nothing right before nowhere.

How could you not let a kid who smiles at work align your car?

390311522_l.jpg

What really happend, he is laughing because he just fucked up the customer's car!!

:joke:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info