• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

? about wheels

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
01Sleeper said:
Those of you that have the chrome factory wheels, are the rims chrome all the way back, or does the chrome stop right behind the spokes? I just bought a used set of rims and the back part is painted? Is this how they are supposed to be or did the previous owner paint them?

Yep they come that way.... Uou can strip it off with lacquer thinner. :D

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135300

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I've stripped all 6 of my rims so I have a little bit of experience doing it. I found Ace Laquer Thinner from Ace Hardware works well. If you do this be very careful. The laquer thinner is mean stuff. Buy some thick rubber gloves to avoid getting the stuff on your hands. Use the stripper in a well ventilated area.

01Sleeper

TCG Elite Member
Dec 11, 2004
Flyn high again said:
I've stripped all 6 of my rims so I have a little bit of experience doing it. I found Ace Laquer Thinner from Ace Hardware works well. If you do this be very careful. The laquer thinner is mean stuff. Buy some thick rubber gloves to avoid getting the stuff on your hands. Use the stripper in a well ventilated area.

Thanks for the info. I went out last night and got some laquer thinner and already got the all stripped. What a difference it makes. Who know why Ford did it this way, but it looks like shit.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
01Sleeper said:
Thanks for the info. I went out last night and got some laquer thinner and already got the all stripped. What a difference it makes. Who know why Ford did it this way, but it looks like shit.

The chrome underneath the paint isn't finished as well and can have some bubbles. Ford was having problems with the wheels when the Terminators originally came out and they decided it was easier to just put a coat of paint over the chrome rather than actually fix the chroming process. I think the stripped wheels look better and are easier to keep clean.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info