• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help me choose pulley combo

joes03cobra10thann

TCG Elite Member
Dec 23, 2005
Over the last week I have been doing some research on different pulley combo's so far I am leaning towards a 4lb lower and a 3.1 upper or a 4lb lower and a 2.93 upper what one would you recommend?

My only mods are magniflow o/r xpipe and magniflow catback.

Here is one :cool: of the sites that I got the information from:

1. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151970

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
joes03cobra10thann said:
With either of these combo's I am thinking about going with will I have to get a new alternator pulley or any other pullies?

What does a 4 piece ideler set do? I know nothing about pullies.
4lb lower or larger will require a larger alternator pulley.

4 piece Idler set replaces the stock idlder pullies with new, higher quality pullies as well as an Aux pulley

JPKII

It's just me...
Mar 26, 2004
If you go with just a lower you won't *need* idlers. They do look nice though.

Also, and I know I am going to get flamed for this, I don't run an alternator pulley. I've run about 10K miles like this. Someday I will add one. When I had my kit put on my tooner at the time (who is a notorious dipshit) said I didn't need one. My alt my crap out tomorrow it may last another 2 seasons. Who knows??

Just a reminder though, maintain your idlers regardless of mods. This weekend I took my car out and noticed a squeak. I went home and took my stock idlers off and spun them by hand. They would rotate about 1 turn with moderate force. I cleaned them up and lubed them up with some bearing lube from my RC truck (very high quality lube). With about the same force they turn about 10 times. Big difference and it eliminated my squeak.

JPKII

It's just me...
Mar 26, 2004
Boost12 said:
If I could do it all over I would have gone with a 8 lb lower to start with and no upper. That way you still get the higher boost level but theres alot better chance for no belt slip with the lower :biggthump

That's why I did it that way. It cost a little more than doing just an upper w/idlers but zero chance of slip. And it's more stealthy (if you're into that). You could still run with your pulley gaurd on and people would never know what's up unless they knew to look down and see the flying saucer.

02RedL

joes03cobra10thann said:
Over the last week I have been doing some research on different pulley combo's so far I am leaning towards a 4lb lower and a 3.1 upper or a 4lb lower and a 2.93 upper what one would you recommend?

My only mods are magniflow o/r xpipe and magniflow catback.

Here is one :cool: of the sites that I got the information from:

1. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151970
Change those tail lights first! ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info