• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Educate Me

Thunderstruck

Feb 24, 2006
I bought an '04 Lightning last week with 6200 miles. I have some reading to do to figure out what the first mods should be and still be warranty friendly. Looking forward to meeting up at Byron, Cordova or Rt. 41.

Attachments

• 100_0500.jpg
    100_0500.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 27

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Welcome Aboard!

Nice Truck. The Gray is my Favorite color on the Gen II's.
Ford is in No Way Friendly to Owners Putting Air in the tires, Let alone any Performance Mods, and will try to stick it to you on ANY Warranty claims, In My Experiences.
That said, Go to NLOC.net and start searching. I'd probably start with blower pulleys. Stay away from the exhaust for a while, I've heard many state that it costs a lot of money and doesn't seem to return much in the way of ET's unless you are Silly Modded already.

Thunderstruck

Feb 24, 2006
I was thinking an airbox as a starting point. Thought I'd try to hold off on swapping pulleys for a bit and stick with mods that are very safe with the factory tune. From what I've read so far, it appears that the factory tune is very rich and gains can be made from tweaking. I just don't want to jeopardize a warranty claim on such a low mileage vehicle. Not that I'm expecting much, just want to take it slow. Any recommendation on airbox setups or the first mods?

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Apr 1, 2004
A cold air intake is a good start. I have a Mac cold air on my truck another good one I've heard of is C&L. Valve body and lowering are some other good mods that you can get without needing a tune. Valve body especially if you're planning to drag race. I would say exhuast but they don't give any extra HP like it would on the mustangs. Pulleys are always good but you need a tune and a lot of research on what you want. Another good website for lightning research is www.NLOC.net.

Did you buy your truck locally? Because I think I saw that truck for sale for a couple months now. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site! :biggthump

Maybe I'll see you at Byron this summer!

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
I bought an '04 Lightning last week with 6200 miles. I have some reading to do to figure out what the first mods should be and still be warranty friendly. Looking forward to meeting up at Byron, Cordova or Rt. 41.
Welcome to the site :biggthump

- cold air intake
- exhaust
- window tint would be slick against that grey :cool:

I would stay with the basics til after the 36,000 then pulley her :headbang:

Thunderstruck

Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the recommendations from everyone! I'm new to the Lightning, but have had 2 Eaton charged Grand Prixs so I'm not totally in the dark on supercharging......but the light is dim.

Bought the truck 4 hours southwest of me in St. Louis. Great guy who was very particular and very knowledgeable. It had limo tint on the sides and rear slider and looked simply badass, but my sensible side told me to remove it to keep from being hasseled by the PoPo.

I'm anxious to get it down the 1/4 just to see what it will do stock. Is 13.6 a reasonable expectation or maybe a bit low? Got the calendar marked for Byron 4/23/06 with ILLNESS. If anyone is going earlier, after they open, drop me a note!

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
How do I know for sure that it's not a she and is a he instead? Can't be a he/she......naw......too brutal. Thinking about this further, I guess we do always reference cars/trucks as being of the female gender.
The SVT definately Female sleek sexy :cool:

Even with the HP they possess (I always call mine girls) :p :dunno:

So I guess every driver has to pick the vehicles sex :p

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Welcome to the site! There's some great people on here.

I ran a 13.5 at Byron on a cool day in my totally stock Lightning. With a trans valve body (FTVB) and drag radials I cut a couple of tenths off. Each one is a little different, but 13.6 on a cool day shouldn't be a problem. It's probably a little different than the Eaton GP - the L's 112 CI Eaton compared to the 90 CI Eaton on those V6's, right - pushes a lot more power.

Adding a cold air kit, or any exhuast, won't give you any performance gains until you add a pulley. But the sound of the Eaton with a big conical filter rocks - I suggest the True Flow filter from Chickenears.com.

I'm sure I'll see you at Byron this year!

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Apr 1, 2004
CobraSusie said:
Welcome to the site :biggthump

- cold air intake
- exhaust
- window tint would be slick against that grey :cool:

I would stay with the basics til after the 36,000 then pulley her :headbang:

Just remember that like Kevin (ILLINI-SVT) said.. that most exhaust and a cold air do not give more power on the lightnings. The the stock exhaust is sufficient for these trucks. The only benefit to most exhuast would be loudness. Cold air and Exhaust on the mustangs do add power but not on the lightnings.

I do plan to make some of the Illines events this year. I will not be in town for the April 23rd byron meet. I am planning to be at byron on April 1st or 2nd when they open. I'm very excited to see what she'll run. (I'm a newbie this year too)

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Welcome to the site, nice truck. :biggthump

I'll be at Byron on April 8 most likely. Look for my car mixed in with everyone else from Midwest Racing. We go there once a month starting in April and ending in September, with an optional October date if the weather permits.

lightningtodd

Feb 11, 2005
1. get an oil seperator (lfp) it wont help with performance but will keep oil out of your intake
2. FTVB (chickenears) the best bang for the buck you can get
3. CAI (anyone) let that bitch breathe!!
4. Exhaust (lfp) i have bassani and it sounds great. you dont gain anything but a bad ass truck needs to sound like one

that will keep you busy for a weekend

BoostinL03

Dec 15, 2005
Hey "Thunderstruck", welcome to the site. I am in the same boat with you, bought my L with 2000 miles and alot of warranty left. I want to keep the warranty until its up. What I did was talk with my dealer and see what they said about mods that I had in mind. I talked with my tech (awsome guy) about CAI and he said no problem. I have the MAC 95MM CAI and it is really nice and it gives you alot of S/C whine which is awsome. I was once a GP GTP owner and you never got S/C whine out of that like you do in the L. Another CAI set-up is the Johnny Lightning CAI. I have heard alot of satisfied customers from his product. I also talked with my tech about Cat-Back systems and he said no problem with that either. He said if you started messing with the Cats he might have a problem. The only problem he said was that it voided your warranty because of emissions. I installed the Bassani Cat-Back system from LFP and am very satisfied with the set-up and sound, my tech at the dealer also liked the sound and set-up from the Bassani. Magnaflow is another good system to look into. I would stay away from the Mac system, ive heard that they started to rust quick. The Bassani and Magnaflow are all stainless steel. I would stay away from the pullies and tunes if you plan on keeping the warranty. The dealer knows if you change the S/C pulley because of the marking on it and if you also messed around with the computer. If anything ever happenes and they see that the computer has been modified they will get on the phone with SVT and send a rep out to look at the engine if it would ever blow and they will give you a hard time with giving you a new motor under warranty. Stock times are in the ball park of 13.6's- 13.4's. I had a 02 and it ran a 13.5 all day. I havent run the 03 yet but will be doing so this summer.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
A nice warranty friendly bolt on that will give you some ok power is a

KENNE BELL!!!

Ok, so maybe not too warranty friendly, but it is fun! But I guess I am a little partial. :laughing2

You could always have Steggy port your charger and then do a tune/pulley/CAI/exhaust on it. I guess no mods are really warranty friendly.

Thunderstruck

Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for all of the replies! At the most, I may do a Bassani cat-back, air box, drop the rear a couple of inches and call it quits until I'm more comfortable.

Hey, BoostinL03, were you username Crued on the GP boards? If so, you kept things lively over there! We met at Byron a few years ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info