• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

water spills from my rad. cap.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
onecobra2fear said:
after I change to an electric water pump i have a hard time keeping coolant in my car. Why does the coolant spill out of my raidator cap? please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's what you do: You have to take off of the filler plug which is near the top of the engine to the front right of the blower if you in front of the car looking at it. You should see the black cap with a hole for a 1/4" rachet. Take off that cap, then take the cap off the radiator expansion tank. Fill through the filling hole (the one near the blower) until the coolant level reaches where you want on the expansion tank. When it gets to the right level, cap off the expansion tank, but continue filling through the filler hole until it reaches the top or overflows. Cap off the filler with the plug and let her warm up. You may need to repeat this process to get it right.

If that doesn't work, you may want to go back to a mechanical water pump, or you may have a blown head gasket/warped head.

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
Here's what you do: You have to take off of the filler plug which is near the top of the engine to the front right of the blower if you in front of the car looking at it. You should see the black cap with a hole for a 1/4" rachet. Take off that cap, then take the cap off the radiator expansion tank. Fill through the filling hole (the one near the blower) until the coolant level reaches where you want on the expansion tank. When it gets to the right level, cap off the expansion tank, but continue filling through the filler hole until it reaches the top or overflows. Cap off the filler with the plug and let her warm up. You may need to repeat this process to get it right.

If that doesn't work, you may want to go back to a mechanical water pump, or you may have a blown head gasket/warped head.

^^^^^^ He's got a lot of experience in this arena!

onecobra2fear

Regular
Sep 29, 2004
cobravenom39 said:

if i have blown head gasket/wrap head, would the coolent leak from the block onto the floor? where will the coolant migrate too if I have the problem?

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
onecobra2fear said:
if i have blown head gasket/wrap head, would the coolent leak from the block onto the floor? where will the coolant migrate too if I have the problem?

If you blew a head gasket the coolant would most likely be getting into a cylinder or two.
Just go through a couple cooling cycles / topping off the crossover tube and you should be fine. Don't drive anywhere till you have it done because your engine could overheat if you don't have all the air out. That crossover tube is the highest point in the cooling system so it's a little tedious getting the air burped out.

onecobra2fear said:
after I change to an electric water pump i have a hard time keeping coolant in my car. Why does the coolant spill out of my raidator cap? please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a head gasket blown.....you maybe getting boost in the cooling system thus making the coolant rush out of the radiator cap.....

I had this happen to me on my Renegade car when I ran on a blown head gasket.........putting 30lbs of boost @1600cfm+ will do that pretty quickly....I had coolant mist over the entire engine.....

onecobra2fear

Regular
Sep 29, 2004
Having a head gasket blown.....you maybe getting boost in the cooling system thus making the coolant rush out of the radiator cap.....

I had this happen to me on my Renegade car when I ran on a blown head gasket.........putting 30lbs of boost @1600cfm+ will do that pretty quickly....I had coolant mist over the entire engine.....
my car ran fine last summer, it set for mabe two months, i took it out, turn on the heat and the coolant problems started once agian.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
What Andy told you is accurate with regard to the bleeding, but there have been numerous cases of defective radiator caps too. If after bleeding the system several times as Andy recommends, you might check the integrity of the cap to expansion tank seal. Both the cap and the tank have been known to warp at the neck, particularly the cap.

Just another place to check.

Dana

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info