• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What are some good local shops to set up a 8.8" rear?

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Damn I am pissed, I was trying to win this sweet, built 8.8 on Ebay and some guy outbid me with like 3 seconds to go. So now I have to go to the back up plan and I am ready to put the wheels in motion. I am getting a housing out of a 94 GT, but its gonna need the works.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good rear end shops in the area to set up an 8.8" Ford? I have an 03 Cobra and am putting in a rear axle out of a 94, its not in the best shape and I'd like to have it straightened, axles tubes welded, painted or powdercoated, and maybe even have some 9" ends welded on, set up the gears, etc

I know Strange is pretty good, but probably a bit pricey, and I have heard about some Cobra guys bending their 31 spline axles because our cars are so damn heavy & torquey and I'll probably be going with Mosers & I just want to see whats out there

I know its not rocket science, but I understand there are some special jigs to set up an 8.8 and I want it done right the first time.

I'm not really looking for places like Sutton, etc. I'm sure they'd do a good job but I am looking for places that specialize in rear ends.

Thanks for any help

Jason

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
firstsvt said:
Damn I am pissed, I was trying to win this sweet, built 8.8 on Ebay and some guy outbid me with like 3 seconds to go. So now I have to go to the back up plan and I am ready to put the wheels in motion. I am getting a housing out of a 94 GT, but its gonna need the works.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good rear end shops in the area to set up an 8.8" Ford? I have an 03 Cobra and am putting in a rear axle out of a 94, its not in the best shape and I'd like to have it straightened, axles tubes welded, painted or powdercoated, and maybe even have some 9" ends welded on, set up the gears, etc

I know Strange is pretty good, but probably a bit pricey, and I have heard about some Cobra guys bending their 31 spline axles because our cars are so damn heavy & torquey and I'll probably be going with Mosers & I just want to see whats out there

I know its not rocket science, but I understand there are some special jigs to set up an 8.8 and I want it done right the first time.

I'm not really looking for places like Sutton, etc. I'm sure they'd do a good job but I am looking for places that specialize in rear ends.

Thanks for any help

Jason

Have you thought about calling DTS? They could build you just about anything you wanted I bet.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Wiked03 said:
Have you thought about calling DTS? They could build you just about anything you wanted I bet.

Yeah, too much $$$ - $2K and up. I found a good deal on a housing and I'm gonna do it a few pieces at a time, easier on the wallet.

I have been looking for a empty housing forever and finally found one. I refused to pay 7 or 8 hondo for a complete axle when I would throw everything out except for a housing, which I found for $25 :headbang:

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
firstsvt said:
Yeah, too much $$$ - $2K and up. I found a good deal on a housing and I'm gonna do it a few pieces at a time, easier on the wallet.

I have been looking for a empty housing forever and finally found one. I refused to pay 7 or 8 hondo for a complete axle when I would throw everything out except for a housing, which I found for $25 :headbang:

Kick ass! Good luck with the build... I look forward to seeing your taillights at Byron this season. :D

fireball168

Regular
Sep 17, 2005
It really isn't that involved....setting one of these up. I'd be more worried about who was doing the housing checks and the welding that anything else.

What diff are you going to run, with who's axles?

C-Clip eliminators?

Girdle?

I personally like setting up a bare housing more than an existing setup. That way you're not tempted to think about reusing the existing pinion shim without checking with the depth tool.....while usually its within .002-.003, its always that "usually" that gets you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info