• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Clutch problems/questions.

O

Orleans04

Hey guys,

I had my Centerforce DFX installed about 22-2300 miles ago. Lately, it is really difficult to get the car into gear. Mostly 1st - 4th. You really have to stand on it to get it to pop into gear. Coming off the clutch into the gear is really nice though. You can feel the clutch disengaging right after you start to come off the floor. Its just getting it into gear thats a big pain in the ass.

Its wierd though, because sometimes its better than others. :dunno:

Makes it really hard to go thru the gears when you are trying to accelerate quickly. Im not talking about beating the shit out of it, but just getting from - 0 - 60 in like 8 - 10 secs. Normal driving really.

I hate to think that I spent a 1400-1500 $$ to have a clutch that performs like this.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Rush Racing

Banned
Nov 14, 2005
Hard to say. What happens is the aggresive compound on the disc actually removes the material from the flywheel and pressure plate. But there there is no real cure that I have found yet. The flywheels metal properties is what affects the longevity, since heat can change the properties of the metal as far as a hardness point. We have had some luck with billet (not all billet is the same) flywheels, but it doesnt cure the pressure plate.

I believe driving style and proper adjustment can greatly reduce wear but also make sure clutches are broken in properly too, specially heavier clutch so the disc surface trues up to the other components

O

Orleans04

Rush Racing said:
What is happening is the input shaft is not slowing down enough, and I have seen lots of aggressive clutches six and four puck disc wear grooves in the flywheel which makes the disc drag and can produce a similar result. Just might be something to look into

This sounds like something scary and expensive. Neither of which I want or can afford ATM.

I tried pulling up on the pedal with the top of my foot. I didnt really yank hard on it. There was no give at all. I remember my stock clutch...when I pulled up on the pedal with my foot, it would give about 1/2" - 1"

This clutch I have now allows zero give with foot pressure. Should I try with my hand, using more force?

UWISHU1 said:
get an aftermarket clutch quadrant and cable and you should be good to go.
:)

+1 this is what you need Steve...........but use the stock cable..................just get a firewall adjuster and a quadrant..............I have Steeda blue for both and they work great.................Oh and an LDC clutch mod too.....................Lyle

O

Orleans04

Rush Racing said:
One way to check if it is a adjustment issue put the car in 1 st gear and see where the clutch starts engaging it should not engage right off the floor

give us a call if you need help

219-322-7895

Yea, it starts pulling as soon as I come off the floor. Is this an issue I should be discussing with the shop I bought the clutch from and had install it? Or is this considered normal wear and tear? 2200-2400 miles on since install.

If I have to repair it, I will buy the adjuster and give ya a call Rush Racing. Thank you for the offer. This will be probably a month or more before I do it though. Still hurting financially from the holidays.

Do you sell those adjusters? Could you PM me a quote for parts and labor if so?

Thanks all,

Steve

Rush Racing

Banned
Nov 14, 2005
Steve
Thats a lot of money, does it come immediately off the floor and if you could judge what distance would you say it starts to grab. From the sounds of its, its probably an adjustment issue. On fords we normally recommend quadrants since fords plastic setup doesnt like heavy clutches.

Jeff

O

Orleans04

Rush Racing said:
Steve
Thats a lot of money, does it come immediately off the floor and if you could judge what distance would you say it starts to grab. From the sounds of its, its probably an adjustment issue. On fords we normally recommend quadrants since fords plastic setup doesnt like heavy clutches.

Jeff

Steve
Thats a lot of money

What is ? You're scaring me ;)

Yes, it grabs immeadiately after coming off the floor...and I mean the floor. I have to stand on it hard to engage the gears. (mostly 1 - 4)

If I had to guess on the distance before I feel the grab, I say 1/2" at "most".

Steve

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info