• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Built Motor questons....???

B

Boost12

Im sure as all you guys know I will be buying a whipple over the winter time maybe even a kennybell depending on wich I can get faster. And I was thinking about it and I can do the whole whipple/kennybell setup with all fuel supporting mods run 18-19 PSI and make anywhere from 590-650whp depending on the tune. Or I can fix the weak points in the Cobra motor run a mixture of race gas all the time and run 21+ psi of boost and make 650+ HP. But I am not sure what would be needed to be done to the inside of the motor to handle those boost and power levels. I know I have heard that all I would need are a set of CP pistons and its good for 800whp but I found that hard to beleave. I know theres a few of you with built motors on here so what parts do you guys suggest for the power levels im looking for?? Pistons... Rods.... ETC????

Thanks much

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I would suggest you worry about the rest of the car before you go and get a Kenne Bell and start making 650+ rwhp. THAT'S when shit starts to really break; the diff, the axles, overheating. There are many things that are associated with getting an upgraded blower. Ask Andy or Eric what's involved, you're not going to like what you hear. I am going to build a real solid foundation out of my car (i.e. appropreate suspension, cooling mods, among others) and THEN upgrade the power level. My best time is a 12.4, and with my current power level, I should be in the 11's. I don't know about you but I'm not as good a driver as I thought. More uncontrolable power won't make it any easier. Just take your time, and think EVERYTHING out first. Your stock motor can handle quite a bit of power so tearing into it isn't really necessary unless your build some sort of Uber-Cobra...I've seen many upgraded-blower cars running with a stock-internals motor for a long time with zero problems. Me and you are in the same ballpark, but it sounds like you've got more money, LOL! Good luck!

-Mike

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
I would suggest doing all the cooling mods and supporting suspension mods before you get into this, or you'll be going nowhere and overheating. I'm running 19lbs of boost with 17* of timing, but I will be adding in timing on a tune over the weekend. If you do the cooling mods, you will buy time before you need a build engine, since heat is the reason why our pistons fail. My car is a prime example. I have no engine issues, because the car runs sooooo cool. The fender rolling day I couldn't even get any heat in my car b/c it wasn't getting warm enough.

B

Boost12

cobravenom39 said:
I would suggest doing all the cooling mods and supporting suspension mods before you get into this, or you'll be going nowhere and overheating. I'm running 19lbs of boost with 17* of timing, but I will be adding in timing on a tune over the weekend. If you do the cooling mods, you will buy time before you need a build engine, since heat is the reason why our pistons fail. My car is a prime example. I have no engine issues, because the car runs sooooo cool. The fender rolling day I couldn't even get any heat in my car b/c it wasn't getting warm enough.
I understand what your saying but what cooling mods could be done besides the heat exchanger...??

B

Boost12

VenomInside said:
LDC Mod
Water Pump
Thermostat
among others
Radiator
ok I see what your saying but you guys all keep saying to do that before I do the blower. thats only like 500 dollers worth of stuff so If anything I would do that at the same time I have Hans put the bigger blower on..?? Makes since right?? :confused:

B

Boost12

Yea I was thinking about it more and more today and I think what Im gonna do is talk to hans about it more and probly in Jan or Feb have the car at his shop and tear off the old blower and all the old parts and sell the stock blower to start with. Do all the Cooling mods and fuel mods at once and then throw the blower on it and get a retune late Feb/ early March. Then do as many suspension mods as the weather gets nicer out. I talked to a friend from DSS and he said just to run a mixture of race and pump gas just to make sure nothing goes wrong on the inside of the motor with high boost levels. So hopefully she will stay together for me :dunno:

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Boost12 said:
I understand what your saying but what cooling mods could be done besides the heat exchanger...??

Heat exchanger isn't an ENGINE cooling mod. It cools the IT, which can raise engine temps.

Get the Evan's water pump, LFP Radiator, Evan's water inlet, remote oil filter, remote oil cooler, remote t-stat and the evan's coolant. This stuff will run you at least $1000. Then you need a BAP, Injectors+harness, MJ chip wiring mod, possibly a blower spacer. I would go with a lower pulley so you don't have to run a small blower pulley and risk a lot of belt slip on a Hi pO twin screw. Then you will start shredding belts, so you need a pulley tensioner.

Did you do a Billetflow brace, IRS brackets, MM full subframes, and IRS bushings yet?? If you think you get hop now, wait until you're getting it the first four gears.

I'm not discouraging you, b/c I like having you as another cobra member and I think that this will make you want to keep your car. I'm just advising you to do ALL the supporting mods first, b/c it will save you big time heart-ache and money down the line.

Whatever you do, don't go blower port and nitrous unless you want a dedicated track car. If you do this, you will want that power all the time, and it's hard to do with spray. Twin screw the car, build it later, and then spray it after you build it with the twin screw(that will be real fuggin fast!)

PM me with any questions.

Andy

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Like what those guys said, I'll bullet point it.

- Get the supporting mods first
- Learn to drive da bitch real good and stuff
- when you can't drive it any faster just by driving then mod it more.

My car is way more than I know what to do with right now, don't plan on anything else major for a year or two.

well - coilovers, bushings, and K member are on my next summer list.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
10th03cobra said:

My car is way more than I know what to do with right now, don't plan on anything else major for a year or two.

I'll buy the first K-member you buy and don't use-at a discount!!!!

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
Do all the supporting mods first. Includes input shaft on tranny, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. Then concentrate on the IRS big time. Once you get a taste of the Whipple running that much boost youre going to be happy you did it right the first time. Whatever you do, DONT cut corners!!

B

Boost12

Andy thats the thing. Right now I have a ported blower with N20 and I took it to the track and went 11.4 at 124 with a shit ass BFG radial with a 1.9 60ft so now I have the Itch to have that power all the time :headbang: I know what you guys are saying though and I will do this right and wont cut any corners. If the car isent done until late march because I dont have the suspension work done yet then so be it. I have cut corners in the past and refuse to do it with my cobra. Everything will be done right. :cool:

B

Boost12

10th03cobra said:

I know what your saying about driveing the car better but I know now with my new tires with a little suspension work I can hit 10s with this car. But to be honest with ya im not too worried about 1/4 mile times. I just want crazy power for rolling races and stuff like that because 1/4 mile to me just doesnet mean all that much right now. thanks for your imput though :biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info