• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Would anybody be interested in this?

03CobraRed

Mind Over Matter
Mar 17, 2004
I am kicking around the idea of starting a company that makes Solid rears for Cobras, there is nobody that does this that I am aware of?

I would take your IRS in trade plus cash for the Built rear, including suspension and everything needed to do the swap. I would have to see how much I am able to get for the IRS units but that is how much I would take off the price of the built solid.

The new rears would include welded tubes, 31 Spline Axles, Eaton or Auburn Diffs, the gear of your choice, and maximum motorsports rear suspension components or something comparable but everything very high quality. The only thing you would have to buy is whatever exhaust you wanted, and you can sell your cat back to offset the price of the new configuration.

I checked into it and Pauls High Performance sells a kit but I believe it is over 5 grand and they just take your irs with no money off for the core.

Would anybody be interested in this? If not then thats ok, it was just an idea I had.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I'm sure there are a bunch of solid axle Mustangers out there who want an IRS. Solid axle makes you PAY in the Twisties and some guys want more than a straight line drag car.
You should have plenty of overlap between the two groups to keep you in cores. Good, Sound, Repeatable Business Foundation - Solid Axle to IRS swaps are a natural side effect of this venture.
Going both ways is a No Brainer. (Errr.. Ummm. Did that Soun Odd?)

I like it. I say go for it.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I wouldn't think there are enough IRS cobras that want to go to a solid setup to make enough profit. Maybe you might want to hook up with LDC and discuss a business opportunity since they are already set up. INSTALLATION = profit, not the actual parts.

I plan on keeping my IRS, but who knows, one day I may lose my mind like everyone else here and go solid + cage + nitrous :headbang:

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
I would think the issue would be from the other side. This is only a guess, but I would bet they are more irs drag racers wanting a solid, then GT road racers wanting an IRS. The only reason I'd think this is that there are more drag racers then road racers. You'd have to find a consistent source to unload the IRSs. Also to succesfully do it on a full scale business you'd have to very large numbers. Its not a bad business idea to supplement a shop that already has other services.

fearbluer1

My 4cyl just beat your 8!
Mar 2, 2004
1.) Eventually it will get harder to get rid of the IRS's (More will want the solid then the IRS)

2.) There is a company that does this.... called DriveTrainSpecialties but they are in Michigan. However they don't take the IRS in trade that I know of.

3.) As already stated, you will make more profit on installation, then selling the parts.

Good Luck either way.

03CobraRed

Mind Over Matter
Mar 17, 2004
Well I checked it out and I couldnt get the pricing that I wanted to get, everything together would be still around 4500, its not going to be worth it. I think that its a better idea to just find somebody that wants to swap and find a way to meet up and do it. This was a good idea but its just not affordable enough to make any kind of profit off of.

B

Blown318

1badass96gt said:
Solid axle means its a solid housing all the way across. Each wheel can not move independently like the IRS. Where in Dyer, do you live? I live in Chateau Woods off of Hart St.

LOL!!! I was just messin with 03CobraRed... I know what a solid axle is......
very good explanation BTW..... :laughing2

northside of dyer.... Barberry apartments.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info