• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How to get air out of the intake or H/E?

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Kegger said:
I'm about to get my car back from Speed Inc. because the car was untunable due to very high intake temps after the SC. There has got to be a big air bubble somewhere in the system. I did replace the stock H/E for the LFP unit. My overflow tank is completely filled....so how do I burp out all this excess air in the system?

Thanks,
Craig

Remove bumper cover and loosen clamps on H/E and Pump. If needed you can prime w/ garden hose, but then you will lose the antifreeze in system and will have to add once you get the system going.

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
Thanks for your help guys. Jon, when you took off the overflow tank cap, we did see a few bubbles coming up. When I got home, I let the car run for a little bit with the cap off. But there were no more bubbles and no air coming out. I did a quick diagnostic and the IAT after the SC was at about 130 degrees. I couldn't check it while in boost because I have to get someone else in the car with me. I'll let you know what the results are.

If this doesn't work, I might have to try Vince's idea next.

Thanks,
Craig

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
I did have a piece of plastic stuck in the inlet of my H/E pump. Appears the plastic came from the coolant resevoir tank from the flashing of the mold making process for the discharge tube. So you may have a good pump that is not air-locked, it is just starving because of foreign material in the inlet.

Maybe you have same problem. Check out this thread

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=4787&highlight=rizza

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
Well, I could not find any air in the system at all. So I changed the spark plugs....problem solved! The car will now rev all the way to redline easily. It also feels stronger and my IAT2 temps went from about 180 degrees down to a consistent 125 degrees at WOT. I can't believe that changing the plugs would have such a huge impact.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I can't believe it either.
Sorry, but spark plugs are not related to intake air temps.
They may have some small bearing on engine temps, but that's all.

Are you now getting circulation in the expansion tank? You apparently had some other problem that corrected itself. Maybe an air locked passage in the lines? The pump finally primed itself?

BTW, the PCM normally begins to pull timing at 100* and then gets real serious about it at 150*. At 180* you lost a lot of timing and may have been approaching the limp mode. The omputer will try to protect the motor in a number of ways under many circumstances and high IAT is one of them.

Dana

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
Dana said:
I can't believe it either.
Sorry, but spark plugs are not related to intake air temps.
They may have some small bearing on engine temps, but that's all.

Are you now getting circulation in the expansion tank? You apparently had some other problem that corrected itself. Maybe an air locked passage in the lines? The pump finally primed itself?

BTW, the PCM normally begins to pull timing at 100* and then gets real serious about it at 150*. At 180* you lost a lot of timing and may have been approaching the limp mode. The omputer will try to protect the motor in a number of ways under many circumstances and high IAT is one of them.

Dana

When I picked up the car, both Jon and myself took the cap off the overflow tank and saw that it was circulating perfectly fine. I did not get any air out of it and did not have to put any more water/coolant in either. All I did was change the plugs and it runs perfect now. I can't believe that just changing the plugs would make that huge of a difference either, but it did. I did nothing else to the car, trust me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info