• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My Tremec 3550 trans... Whats wrong??

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Those transmissions have been notorious for grinding and wearing out syncro's earlier than ususal. Chances are the 3rd gear syncro is starting to show some wear. A former buddy of mine with a '97 GT went through 3 transmissions in about 3 years, although he was very hard on his car, kept breaking stuff racing.

S

Scream'n95Cobra

1RWHP said:
The car gives me a little grief when I put the car into 3rd gear, but ONLY while downshifting. 1-2-3-4-5 is BUTTER on the transmission, but when going 4-3, it doesnt wanna let you in sometimes? :confused:

Mine does the same thing. It also does it when downshifting into 2nd. Does yours grind? Mine hasn't, so I dont think its wear, just the tranny itself.

When you want to downshift it, move the shifter over into where you would downshift into second, and then go straight into 3rd like normal. That always works for me, sometimes it takes a couple tries.

Snake Eater

Apr 8, 2005
If the synchronizer assembly was worn, there is usually only one part of it that is the culprit, the syncro brass blocker ring. When they wear out the trans will slip out of gear all by itself, and sometimes it will be hard if not impossible to put the trans in a gear. I had a 3550 in my old 93 coupe and when my brass wore out it wouldn't go in gear and would slip out, but in general, my life would be happy if I never saw a 3550 again. Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info