• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

If you ever pull your IRS...

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
...for the bushing install or whatnot, you might want to grind these boogers off the torque box. This is a pic of the torque box on the driver's side (the front mounting point of your IRS subframe). See the red stuff on the right, that's part of my MM IRS bushings. It is where Ford tack welded the box in on that side and there is some slag left over that they didn't remove. It was like that on the passenger side, too. Probably not a big deal but I bet it will be easier to pull and install the IRS from now on (or lower control arms if you have a built 8.8 sitting on your garage floor :headbang: ).

Attachments

• Torque box.jpg
    Torque box.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • solid and casey.jpg
    solid and casey.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 134

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
I'm a stoner. That pic is of the passenger side. Anyway, here's a better pic.

After seeing how little welding there in the torque boxes I'm not surprised these are so east to rip out. Don't know why they couldn't have added 27 seconds to the production time zip up a few more seams.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 16

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Shane97Cobra said:
I was about to say...before you install that 8.8 have those torque boxes welded up in all the seams. Uppers too! But looks like you are aware of this already.

What carrier you using in that 8.8" Looks like it is nicely done.

Yup, I welded them up last night. I'm glad there is so much area to weld on because my welds sucked. Most places you can't get a wire brush to so I couldn't bust the paint off first. Had to jump lots of gaps, too. That and welding upside down. Oh yeah, and I'm a shitty welder, too. Only blew 1 hole in the floorboard and only caught myself on fire once.

The new rear is from DTS. Eaton posi, Strange 31 splines, FMS 3.73s, Timkin bearings. Was pretty pricey but I got all good stuff.

wtw5974

What in the Hell?
Mar 2, 2004
Shane97Cobra said:
I was about to say...before you install that 8.8 have those torque boxes welded up in all the seams. Uppers too! But looks like you are aware of this already.

What carrier you using in that 8.8" Looks like it is nicely done.
I was just going to say the same thing. God we are a smart group arn't we :biggthump

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Yup, I welded them up last night. I'm glad there is so much area to weld on because my welds sucked. Most places you can't get a wire brush to so I couldn't bust the paint off first. Had to jump lots of gaps, too. That and welding upside down. Oh yeah, and I'm a shitty welder, too. Only blew 1 hole in the floorboard and only caught myself on fire once.

The new rear is from DTS. Eaton posi, Strange 31 splines, FMS 3.73s, Timkin bearings. Was pretty pricey but I got all good stuff.

I hate to be that guy....but, how much did that solid setup cost you? It looks really nice :biggthump I am assuming $2000 - $3000, but I could be wrong. What kind of control arms are you going to use? It sure is easy to see that you can cut 80-100 LBS off these pigs when you look at both setups, side by side!

Jason

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
firstsvt said:
I hate to be that guy....but, how much did that solid setup cost you? It looks really nice :biggthump I am assuming $2000 - $3000, but I could be wrong. What kind of control arms are you going to use? It sure is easy to see that you can cut 80-100 LBS off these pigs when you look at both setups, side by side!

Jason

Yeah, it was pricey- $2100. At first I thought that was rediculous but if you do the math it isn't that bad (Strange axles+Eaton posi+housing+R&P+brake brackets+cast cover+bearings+ABS rings+pinion flange+welding, painting, and set-up).

I went with Maximum Motorsports Drag LCAs and FRPP uppers.

The whole project will be way north of 3 grand (untill I sell the IRS and other old parts). I saw some people on SVTP say you could do it for for almost free- I'd like to double check their math.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info