• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How do I reduce/eliminate wheel hop, without excessive mods to the rear end and exces

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Common answers include Drag radials, sub frame connectors, IRS brace, harder bushings, anti hop shocks, lowering springs, replacing the 12mm bolts in the rear end with 14mm. I think these mods mainly stiffen the drivetrain and lessen the flex and rebound that causes the wheel hop. They work with varying results depending on the car.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
First, change to a sticky tire. A street drag radial, like the Nitto 555R's which people have had success with.

Second, consider the IRS Toe Link bars from PHP - you'll need an alignment after these too.

Unfortunetly, anti-wheel hop stuff is NOT cheap. The IRS ad control arm bushing are cheap, but will cost several hundred or more to install them (I think it was around $400 for my IRS and differential bushings just for install, took about 1 day). Then there's the weld-on mathias brackets... and so on...

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
saras03Cobra said:
I have heard of swapping the bushings for a different type of bushing. But, I do not know what kind of bushing, and does this really work?

There are several different sources for the bushings (MaximumMotorsports, Steeda, ect.). They are only about $50 or so BUT they are a total PITA to install (there is a reason shops $200-400 for that job).

The first thing I did to lose some hop was install the MM IRS subframe bushings and also the 14 mm bolts. It didn't eliminate the hop but it made it less severe per say.

Then I tried subframe connectors (which we need anyway), lowered the car, and installed adjustable shocks. The hop got less and less frequent but never went away until I went to drag radials. I get it every once in great a while if it is really cold or the road is really bumpy.

Don't be afraid of drag radials. With the Nittos, other than on wet roads and slightly shorter tire life, you won't notice the difference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info