• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hooray for Nittos!

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Ran into someone at Byron on Saturday selling a set of stock 03 rims with with a barely used set of 315 Nittos on them. The deal was too good to pass up, so now they are mine. :)

I can't wait to try these out at the track. :headbang:

Attachments

• nittos.jpg
    nittos.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 110

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wiked03 said:
Any one have any advice for how to launch with these at the track?

Since all my previous runs have been on street tires, I have no experience with heating up the tires and I don't wanna look stupid when I go.

Good deal. I would've scooped those up in a minute. Let's see if we get any launching tips, I'd like to know as well.

I've heard you need to heat the crap outta them, but I don't really want to do that. The tread is shallow enough when they're new.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
You do need to heat up the nitto's pretty well. The nice thing is that the nittos will last you longer than the BFG's. When I do my burnouts I put the car in 2nd, rev it up, dump the clutch and hit the brakes slightly. Just enough to keep the car in one spot. Unless you have a line lock that is about the only way to do it.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
1MEANGT said:
You do need to heat up the nitto's pretty well. The nice thing is that the nittos will last you longer than the BFG's. When I do my burnouts I put the car in 2nd, rev it up, dump the clutch and hit the brakes slightly. Just enough to keep the car in one spot. Unless you have a line lock that is about the only way to do it.

About how high do you rev it up before dumping the clutch?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
I second the damn you! Should be a good set-up.

Are those gonna rub on the IRS bolt or are you gonna have to do the spacer/bolt shaving required for 315s? I always heard Nittos run narrow so they might not.

The 315 Nittos usually do not have clearance issues. I have about 1/3 inch clearance on the passenger side, and 1/8 inch on the driver side.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Wharf Rat said:
I second the damn you! Should be a good set-up.

Are those gonna rub on the IRS bolt or are you gonna have to do the spacer/bolt shaving required for 315s? I always heard Nittos run narrow so they might not.

I was told there should be no rubbing since the Nittos run pretty narrow as you said and the rim size is the same as stock...

1MEANGT said:
In my car I usually rev it up between 4000 and 5000 RPM. You have to be pretty quick to jump from the clutch to the brake. Might take a few times to get it but it's not that hard.

Ohhh I am quite certain I will make as ass of my self the first time. Thanks for the tips though!

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Questions for Nitto users....

What RPM are you launching at?
Riding or dumping the clutch?
Whats your 60 times?

I was thinking about getting a set-up like Carl bought for track use.

Also, someone mentioned half-shafts, what's the likelyhood of breakage with those huge bastards?

Thanks

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
You'e going to have to play with the air pressure to get them just right, but try starting at around 20 psi.
I was launching at 2600 RPM's and slipping the clutch out real fast, but still slipping it. Not good for the clutch, but will help the half-shafts live a little longer.

Dan

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Wiked03 said:
I think people use 2nd gear cause the tires will spin faster and heat up quicker.

Makes sence!

Next weekend at Byron is no good for me- going to the Brickyard 400! Maybe later in August- I'll wanta run as soon as I get all the crap put on that I ordered yesterday. I doubt I will have my car put back together by then anyway- QA1 shocks, MJ IRS brace, and cutting just a smidgen off the springs (ghetto- I know but I'm gonna try it since it's free and some people swear by it), oh and a good 4 wheel alignment, too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info