• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

MJ diff. brace

C

CobraJD

brace ?'s

Hey Dan I also purchased a set of new bushing for the diff. and a set of IRS subframe bushings. How hard is the install for the bushings? It seems easy but thats what worries me. Are the IRS subframe bushing worth it or should I just put the right size bolts in??

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
They are worth it, the IRS bushings AND the right size bolts while you change the bushings anyway. The bushings make a bigger difference and the bolts help reduce any play. The IRs bushing install is far from easy, I had a place do it, and it took them 1.5 days and $400 later.

CobraJD said:
Hey Dan I also purchased a set of new bushing for the diff. and a set of IRS subframe bushings. How hard is the install for the bushings? It seems easy but thats what worries me. Are the IRS subframe bushing worth it or should I just put the right size bolts in??

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
CobraJD said:

I did one set of both, my own. I do not ever want to do another set again. It ranks right up there with the header install on these cars. It is time consuming more than anything. I think I spent 8 or 9 hours doing mine. After the first bushing it gets easier though. Having the correct tools helps too.

MM or Steeda had pretty good instructions for the installs. You might want to look at them before you do anything.

If you plan on staying with the IRS, I would do the bushings (IRS & Diff), the bolts (they're out anyway) and the brace/plate above the rear IRS bolt to the trunk wall. I would also do the MJ Brace. These mods and some good tires and the hop will be pretty minimal.

Dan

C

CobraJD

Thanks

Thank You for the advise. Are there any special tools that would make the job easier?? Also who out there has the best springs for these cars. I hear alot of people talking about the Steeda springs. What about the rear shocks I hear they are to soft should I change them or change the front and rear.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I am not a suspension expert, by any stretch of the imagination but, I think most people are swapping out the springs to give the car a lower look, rather than help with the launch.
As far as a particular brand, maybe some people can jump in here that have experience with varioous brands and speak up.
I went to a solid axle a long time ago, so I didn't bother with the springs.

As far as tools for the swap, mostly common hand tools, nothing exotic except for a 1 1/2 inch drum sander.
You could do a search on SVT Performance for IRS bushing swaps. There were a couple of good write ups there.

Dan

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
The only odd or special tool needed for the bushing install is something to press the bushings into the IRS subframe. I used a long bolt and a modified puller. I have heard of others using huge sockets.

Make no mistake about it, it is a big pain in the ass. But hey, if you have the time and some advil it can be done.

As far as the IRS brace, looks like a hot item for those who want to keep their IRS. Myself, these solid axle picks and threads are giving me a woody.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info