• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Alot of KB and whipple cars melting pistons.

betiwin

Mar 1, 2004
Man I keep reading on Modfords and svtperf. of guys with whipples and KB's melting #2,7,8 pistons. Most of these guys had safe tunes but I really think pushing this 19-21lbs of boost is too much for the stock pistons. Not to say a lightly modded cobra can’t have problems but it just seems like these guys are pushing the envelope of these monsters when it comes to the pistons. I quess the good news on most teardowns they only find damage to the top of some pistons and say the rods, bearings, crank, block all seem super strong. I quess if you plan a bigger blower CP pistons might be a good investment at the same time. :dunno:

Nichepi

Mar 17, 2004
The 99-04 Cranks have always been one of the most exceptional internal parts of our engines. (Just not the rest of the internal parts of the 99-01) The 03/04 motors while being moved back to a cast block had some nice eagle rods but kept the stock crappy pistons.
A nice JE or CP would be a recommendation in cases of most of these modifier’s whom are going boost crazy.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
hj16 said:
I persoanlly wouldnt consider going over 17psi with these motors. Some run it higher, and get away with it....others dont though. Its a gamble when going above 500hp with these cars.

I agree. 500hp is where I would eventually like to be. That's more than enough power for a daily driver. If your car is a toy or dragstrip ride, then go balls out and pay as you go for better parts or repairs.

GRNENVY

Apr 25, 2004
Bad news

There are to big problems with these guys running high boost. When running over 16psi you need OCTANE and all these guys think they can get away with high test (93). Even with bigger injectors and better pumps it's dangerous. The other problem is heat soak and engine temperature. You can not continously run then these car hot and think you will run pump gas. You will see more broken motors this summer. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info