• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Blown Motor

wtw5974

What in the Hell?
Mar 2, 2004
I cannot make a judgment yet. How many blown motors happened when KB was doing their testing? The chances of theses cars motors going are high just because of the fact that they are R&D vehicles. Then there is the fact that these cars were modded before the testing as well. So, you must factor all that in. It is too realy to tell. The product is not out yet and is still in the R&D phase.

Cheers :beer:
Tim

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
With Mark's motor, not sure yet about the other Whipple one, the weak spot is showing up. Pistons.
The pistons are the weak link in the motor, and pushing them as far beyond the stock levels that many have, Mark included, will cause them to fail eventually.

At the stock levels, they would probably live a long life, but that is at stock levels.

Everyone that is pushing the envelope on these motors should prepare themselves for an engine rebuild in the near future.

I wouldn't mind, but these motors are such a pain in the ass to pull, I am not looking forward to it.
Maybe after I can set up shop somewhere, I will feel better about it.

Dana

Robertson Racin

Regular
Mar 2, 2004
Remember, there is one running around St. L. without any problems... There is to many questions that need asked.. He said he has been lean on the top end, why would he drag race it knowing that?? also, did he have a cooling mod?? It was also self tuned... I would like to know how many motors Strickley, JDM have had problems with...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Mark is pretty much a perfectionist. I can't believe he'd let a lean condition exist for any significant amount of time.

He's pretty careful tuning it.

And yes, any piston will melt under lean conditions, but the issue on the Ford pistons is the skirts, and wall clearances. And premature failures.

Dan

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Dana said:
skirts, and wall clearances. And premature failures.
I think Dan says it all with this...
but at the same time, it's one of those things, that you would like to think Ford threw in the quality stuff, but everything has specs... and when you are talking about that much hp, they obviously underestimated what specs they needed. Anybody know the difference between our pistons and the 2000 CobraR's?? I'd be curious to see what they used in there for comparison...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I don't know how true the following tidbit is, but I read it on the internet so it MUST be true, right?

Ford ended up with a bunch of slightly undersized pistons for these motors and instead of scrapping them, had them coated with something to take up the extra clearance. One possible reason for the piston slap and premature failure of the skirts.

Take this for what it's worth...

Dan

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Well you know they say don't look back only look forward on different aspects of life..? So you would hope with Ford, but we know that they... have a tendency to repeat little annoyances that makes your post believable Dana.

Case in Point with our cars:
Hood not painted completeley
Rear end bolts smaller than were supposed to be
I am sure there is more, so I would not doubt that they took pistons off the shelf to help reduce cost and get rid of what they have to replace the new parts for the new generation motors...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info