• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2014 Cobrajet testing.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Come on, street legal? It is a strait up drag car. :rofl: Every part on the cars are available to purchase to install on a GT or body in white car.

It was built to compete in NHRA Stock classes. And fits in other series as well with small changes. It isn't that expensive for a class built car that is competitive. They have been setting records since the first year they came out.

They also sell Boss 302R road race cars for racing purpose built for Grand-AM / Continental Tire Sports car Challenge as well as SCCA and NASA classes.

I think it is awesome that Ford offers quality designed, tested and competitive turn key race cars. The first Boss 302R were delivered to their owners the night before the Grand Am Daytona race. They qualified 1 and two. And finished first and thrid. That is impressive.

2014 MUSTANG BOSS 302R - GRAND-AM CONTINENTAL TIRE SPORTS CAR CHALLENGE | Part Details for M-FR500-BOSSR1A* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

2014 MUSTANG BOSS 302S - PLACEHOLDER PART NUMBER | Part Details for M-FR500-B302S* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I just hope that the Twin Turbo Cobra Jet concept turns into a reality. It uses two turbos off one of the EcoBoost motors. Making it legal for a couple stock classes.

12308357974_2356a5f042_b.jpg

12308510966_7f1279d16d_b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAl3UvngjDM

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not street legal? That sucks, what's the point? I assume it's for old dudes that have deep pockets?

Come on, street legal? It is a strait up drag car. :rofl: Every part on the cars are available to purchase to install on a GT or body in white car.

It was built to compete in NHRA Stock classes. And fits in other series as well with small changes. It isn't that expensive for a class built car that is competitive. They have been setting records since the first year they came out.

They also sell Boss 302R road race cars for racing purpose built for Grand-AM / Continental Tire Sports car Challenge as well as SCCA and NASA classes.

I think it is awesome that Ford offers quality designed, tested and competitive turn key race cars. The first Boss 302R were delivered to their owners the night before the Grand Am Daytona race. They qualified 1 and two. And finished first and thrid. That is impressive.

2014 MUSTANG BOSS 302R - GRAND-AM CONTINENTAL TIRE SPORTS CAR CHALLENGE | Part Details for M-FR500-BOSSR1A* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

2014 MUSTANG BOSS 302S - PLACEHOLDER PART NUMBER | Part Details for M-FR500-B302S* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

I understand what [MENTION=517]10sec[/MENTION] was saying... I myself don't find the COPO, Drag-Pak & Cobra Jet stuff all that cool nowadays... I understand fully why it's there and appreciate it... I just don't think it's that cool.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
If you think it is cool or not you have to realize a car like this isn't going to even come close to being a road car. There are no air bags, crash bars, ABS, and so on. Plus it has light weight & thin rotors that would warp on the street, a cage that would be a safety concern and a whole list of issues. All things as to why it would be a huge liability for Ford to offer it with a VIN and title for street use.

But like I said, you can purchase all the parts to make a GT into this car. If you were so inclined.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If you think it is cool or not you have to realize a car like this isn't going to even come close to being a road car. There are no air bags, crash bars, ABS, and so on. Plus it has light weight & thin rotors that would warp on the street, a cage that would be a safety concern and a whole list of issues. All things as to why it would be a huge liability for Ford to offer it with a VIN and title for street use.

But like I said, you can purchase all the parts to make a GT into this car. If you were so inclined.

Did I ever say that I did or didn't think it could be a road car? I knew all the reasons listed why it can't be a street legal car.

I think that's the main reason I don't think it's all that cool- because of everything it foregoes. Sure the parts that the big 3 make that are available for purchase for these cars are neat... but IMO there are cheaper & better ways to go "faster" or "quicker" than direct manufacturer sourced parts more often than not.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Did I ever say that I did or didn't think it could be a road car? I knew all the reasons listed why it can't be a street legal car.
10Sec did and you defended his stance. So I replied. That is all.

I think that's the main reason I don't think it's all that cool- because of everything it foregoes. Sure the parts that the big 3 make that are available for purchase for these cars are neat... but IMO there are cheaper & better ways to go "faster" or "quicker" than direct manufacturer sourced parts more often than not.

Building a class car might be cheaper. But not cheap. The only way to have a cheap competitive car is to buy a done and proven car that someone else lost their ass on. lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I think if Ford started a holocaust, you'd defend them.

Because I like that they are building race cars? :rofl: I like the Drag Pack Challenger and the COPO as well. Doesn't mean anything. Other than I am glad to see big manufactures building race cars again. Just like they did in the 60's.

But they did that to the car. They easily could have kept it street legal.

But then it wouldn't be a competitive race car. Which was the point of the program.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Because I like that they are building race cars? :rofl: I like the Drag Pack Challenger and the COPO as well. Doesn't mean anything. Other than I am glad to see big manufactures building race cars again. Just like they did in the 60's.

But then it wouldn't be a competitive race car. Which was the point of the program.

The ones from the 60's were way cooler than this stuff though IMO... the stuff in the 60's was actually affordable.. 100k for a car that needs to be trailered to a track just to run 9s is silly to me.... your capri is 1000x times cooler than this to me based on the fact that you can drive it on the street to the track, run those times on the 17" drag radials you showed up in, and turn around and go home.

Not to mention the race stuff they were building back then- weren't a few of the cars street legal (copo)?

They were doing sketchy shit back then... way cooler than what is happening now. Back then you got a pig of an old car, with holes cut out of the frame, and fiberglass wherever they wanted to use it and whatever else they could do to save weight and make it as sketchy as possible.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You are comparing very different cars. Street cars versus race only cars. Fast street cars are what really peaks my interest as well. But I can appreciate what it takes to build a class competitive car. I have a lot of friends who have done that. It isn't cheap or easy. Especially the time and money used on testing to have a winning combo. So I can appreciate these factory offerings. Others may not and that is their thing.

Let's talk about "affordable" examples of old muscle. The 1969 ZL1 Camaro was the bad boy of it's day. The engine option alone cost more than a SS396 camaro. So let's put that in today's values. Let's say a 2014 SS camaro cost $40K. That is like paying $80K for a new camaro with a 600 hp factory engine. Is that "affordable" to most people? Hell no. Same with the 1969 ZL1. Probably why many of the 69 ZL1 produced sat on dealership lots for years. Many sold at a loss. Part of why they are so valuable now.

Many cars and engines were given to race teams from the Big 3. Max Wedge factory light weight cars, SOHC in a Mustang, hemi headed 302 motors in a Camaro and so on. You couldn't even purchase these cars. They were given for testing and durability testing. They were out on Detroit street racing stop light to stop light or any 1/4 mile stretch of road. THOSE are the cars that I think are just oh so cool. Yeah, a 1969 COPO camaro is sweet. But if you had the cash anyone could buy those cars back then. But the examples that were out there did amazing things. Yeah, some were hemi motors in a small car that was swiss cheese. But again, we are not talking class built cars like the Drag Pack, COPO or Cobra Jet are. A continuation of the practices of the past.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I would say the 2015 Z/28 is the closest thing we have to a factory race car with a VIN and title. Look at the parts list for that car. It is the "who's who" of aftermarket parts. Plus many great factory parts. On paper it is one bad mo-fo for a road course. It gives up some conveniences for track prowess. It also has a sticker starting at like $65K, no?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info