• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Heat Exchanger and 20 Inch Rim Question

Rottenweiler9

2010 GT500
Jun 25, 2011
I have a 2010 GT500 with off road pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back, 2.65 pulley change, hand held tune, and Lower Control Arms.

I am getting ready for some new mods. I am going to go with 4.10 gears, a New Upper Control Arm, and probably a new Drive Shaft and Loop. My question is I live in IL and wonder if the Heat Exchanger is worth it to put on. I have not been to the track with it, but plan on maybe taking it this year, otherwise it is just stop light to stop light and highway driving. Think I can wait a year for the Heat Exchanger or not is it not even worth it, or is it worth it.

Second question, is with rims. I was going to put some 20 X10 ons. Can I do this for all four wheels or should I stagger and get the 20 X 10 and 20 X 8.5. What benefit is it to have it staggered?

Thank you

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006
I have a 2010 GT500 with off road pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back, 2.65 pulley change, hand held tune, and Lower Control Arms.

I am getting ready for some new mods. I am going to go with 4.10 gears, a New Upper Control Arm, and probably a new Drive Shaft and Loop. My question is I live in IL and wonder if the Heat Exchanger is worth it to put on. I have not been to the track with it, but plan on maybe taking it this year, otherwise it is just stop light to stop light and highway driving. Think I can wait a year for the Heat Exchanger or not is it not even worth it, or is it worth it.

Second question, is with rims. I was going to put some 20 X10 ons. Can I do this for all four wheels or should I stagger and get the 20 X 10 and 20 X 8.5. What benefit is it to have it staggered?

Thank you

The heat exchanger depends on your use. If you are in traffic, stoplight derbies, etc....you'll suffer from heat soak. It happens quickly. If you take your car to the track, it'll heat soak before you get to the burnout box during the warm months.

Your car is designed to pull timing at downstream temps as low as 125f. The amount of timing pulled scales up as the temps do. A large capacity, dual fan heat exchanger and larger tank will keep your IAT2 temps below that threshold.

I have the Afco in mine and have numerous datalogs I'd be glad to share with you. Times when my car has been at 125f or higher from just making a pass or a dyno pull and then just sitting there. As soon as the motor starts and the pumps and fans kick in my temps drop down to 110f or so.

You're welcome to take a look at mine, and if you're local I'd be glad to help you install one for free. The company I work for sells the Afco. Alternately, you can join us at Shelbyfest in April in Hermann MO and we can do it there. We'll be doing installs of our VMP TVS superchargers on site. We'll have our mobile dyno there for dialing things in....straight dyno tunes....and simple wideband pulls.

Either way......let me know if you're interested. Here's the link to the Afco on our site

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=386&parent=112

And here's a link to Shelbyfest if you want to join us....mods or not!

http://www.shelbyfest.net/

My email is [email protected]

Gibby_SVT

Voodoo
Apr 12, 2007
The heat exchanger depends on your use. If you are in traffic, stoplight derbies, etc....you'll suffer from heat soak. It happens quickly. If you take your car to the track, it'll heat soak before you get to the burnout box during the warm months.

Your car is designed to pull timing at downstream temps as low as 125f. The amount of timing pulled scales up as the temps do. A large capacity, dual fan heat exchanger and larger tank will keep your IAT2 temps below that threshold.

I have the Afco in mine and have numerous datalogs I'd be glad to share with you. Times when my car has been at 125f or higher from just making a pass or a dyno pull and then just sitting there. As soon as the motor starts and the pumps and fans kick in my temps drop down to 110f or so.

You're welcome to take a look at mine, and if you're local I'd be glad to help you install one for free. The company I work for sells the Afco. Alternately, you can join us at Shelbyfest in April in Hermann MO and we can do it there. We'll be doing installs of our VMP TVS superchargers on site. We'll have our mobile dyno there for dialing things in....straight dyno tunes....and simple wideband pulls.

Either way......let me know if you're interested. Here's the link to the Afco on our site

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=386&parent=112

And here's a link to Shelbyfest if you want to join us....mods or not!

http://www.shelbyfest.net/

My email is [email protected]

What BJ said. Heat soak is a real killer on these cars in hot weather... and it gets hot here in the summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info