• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

big emisions issue

04cobrawhine

Regular
Nov 19, 2008
so i took my turboed 03 to emmisions today. i does not have cats on it. the tune is set so i will pass in the OBD part. they hooked up the computer and did something, then got out the tail pipe sniffer. obviously i knew it was going to fail then. it did. when i went inside, they told me because its an SVT car, it automaticly tells them to do the tail pipe sniffer. has anyone ever heard of this before? also, now that they have that it failed the sniffer test, will that be in their history and i will forsure have to take that next time? its a full custon exhaust so bolting on the stock h-pipe is not on option. maybe weld it some cats for the test? ive also heard maybe e85 will work? help me!! i need to get this pig to pass!!

Gibby_SVT

Voodoo
Apr 12, 2007
I'm positive they will do another sniffer test since it failed once already. But I'm sure the part about it being an SVT car and requiring a sniffer test is fabricated.

I would also try going somewhere else to do the test. Perhaps a new place with the right guy at the booth will do just OBDII connection like normal. Scout the place and see which lane has a guy that looks like he's diggin your car!

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Um, they don't need to "read" anything, all they do is test readiness. That's why they stopped doing sniffers, because the way OBDII is supposed to work, is that if there is anything wrong with anything affecting emissions, it will either set a service engine light or that specific function will show "not ready", both causing a failed test.

I'm guessing that the guy who did the test was a hardass and sensed something was not "right" with the car, so he decided to go above and beyond the OBDII scan and do the sniffer just to bust you out.

Gibby_SVT

Voodoo
Apr 12, 2007
Um, they don't need to "read" anything, all they do is test readiness. That's why they stopped doing sniffers, because the way OBDII is supposed to work, is that if there is anything wrong with anything affecting emissions, it will either set a service engine light or that specific function will show "not ready", both causing a failed test.

I'm guessing that the guy who did the test was a hardass and sensed something was not "right" with the car, so he decided to go above and beyond the OBDII scan and do the sniffer just to bust you out.

Agreed here. That guy was probably jealous of your ride and felt like being a dick about it.

FourSixPony

Aug 9, 2010
Yep the guy was being a asshole. I passed this year with my O/R X-Pipe and homemade MILS. No sniffer test. What a douchebag.

You can file for race car/show car thing and it gives you a 2 year exemption from taking emissions, you can do it every 2 years. That's what my uncle did, he just put his bigs and littles on took some photos of his car and his blower and now he don't have to worry about it. Still legal to drive on the street. That's what I would do with a car like yours.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info