• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Exhaust leak somewhere - can't seem to find it

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
On my 02 GT, when I have the window down and open the throttle while under load, such as accelerating, I can hear an exhaust leak. I can also hear it briefly when starting the car. It has the stock exhaust on it still.

It sounds like it might be after the muffler somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure. I jacked up the car and crawled under it while it was running to see if I could feel any leaks around the pipes or better hear where it was coming from.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see, feel or hear anything. All the joints look fine and the pipes / mufflers look to be in good shape.

Is there any common place that the stock exhaust system on these cars develop leaks. Any specific area I should look?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I had a giant leak at the end of my manifolds in my 2000 gt...I still don't know how it ever sealed in the first place. Look how the things are shaped and how the bolts have a spacer on them that serves no purpose :dunno::thinking:

fuckincar003.jpg

fuckincar001.jpg

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Ok, I finally got around to raising the car up and getting under it for a better look.
Everything looks fine and there are no leaks at any joints.

I had the girlfriend rev the engine while I was under there and it appears that the "noise" is coming from the passenger side muffler. The muffler itself looks fine, at least as much of it that I can see. I can't really see the top of it, but there are no holes anywhere, not even in the pipe welds that are visible.

My guess is that the internals of the muffler somehow are damaged. Maybe one of the baffles came apart and that's why it sounds louder. It's either that or there is a hole on top that I can't see. I'm not really sure.

When the car is revved, you can hear the distinctive "pfft" of a leak when letting off the throttle. I just don't see or feel a leak anywhere, but it's definitely coming from the muffler.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?

Looks like I'm going to need either a stock catback or a very quiet aftermarket replacement. It's gotta be fairly quiet with no highway drone. Anyone have any recommendations?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Well, finally removed the old stock catback and put on a Flowmaster catback with Flowmaster 50 mufflers.

The stock catback looked to be in perfect condition, so the baffles inside them must have been damaged.

The new Flowmaster setup sounds badass, but it's definitely much louder than stock. It's even louder than the FR500 system on my Cobra and will take a while to get used to. I was impressed with the build quality of the Flowmaster system. I hope it lasts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info