• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Question on clutch cable and quadrant

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
What are you guys running and have you had any issues? I have the UPR quadrant with the firewall adjuster. My stock cable snapped ordered a new one from Tousley. Now with 150 miles on the new one it stretched 3 inches to where the adjuster is worthless. The plastic that the cable is encased in actually stretched so bad that the plastic is pulled back. Considering the max motorsport setup or billetflow. Sick of this shit. What do you guys think?

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
something doesnt sound right. Maybe it wasnt adjusted correctly, or defect like said above, although i have yet to see that. usually i see issues from install or adj. stay away from anything but oem. Could be the reason the first one snapped.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
something doesnt sound right. Maybe it wasnt adjusted correctly, or defect like said above, although i have yet to see that. usually i see issues from install or adj. stay away from anything but oem. Could be the reason the first one snapped.

First one is OEM after some checking it seems people have in the past had issues with the UPR quadrant cutting the end off of the cable where it connects under the dash.

I am suspecting the second one is defective because there is no reason for it to do that. I mean with roughly 200 miles on it? Mechanic at work looked at it also and said its defective while I was waiting for my brother in law to come and tow it home.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Meant could be some kind of adj or install issue, which is why the first one snapped. Where did it break at? when anything breaks within almost no time, people tend to say defective, but there is a reason you are going through cables. if the first one broke at the head where it meets the quad, i would also say maybe that is the issue. The first one being old maybe didnt have the ability to give as much as the new one and instead of stretching just broke, also something to think about. if the cable is bottoming out the fork and there is still pedal room, you will start to stretch the cable. double check your adjustments. What kind of clutch do you have in there, did they move out the ball stud of use an extended if aftermarket is in there?

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
Meant could be some kind of adj or install issue, which is why the first one snapped. Where did it break at? when anything breaks within almost no time, people tend to say defective, but there is a reason you are going through cables. if the first one broke at the head where it meets the quad, i would also say maybe that is the issue. The first one being old maybe didnt have the ability to give as much as the new one and instead of stretching just broke, also something to think about. if the cable is bottoming out the fork and there is still pedal room, you will start to stretch the cable. double check your adjustments. What kind of clutch do you have in there, did they move out the ball stud of use an extended if aftermarket is in there?
Spec 3 with a Spec steel flywheel. The parts guy at Tousley said it could be defective so I was like uh ok...lol

Its installed correctly and was adjusted the same way I have done them in the past. I actually had a shop install the quadrant etc initially and they even commented on people having issues with them in the past thats why they only recommend steeda or MM. Dont remember the whole conversation but thats the jist of it

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I believe he is talking about the Fiore Micro click, but could be wrong. I think i have a spare free play mod in the house if you want it. Let me know if you are going to any Wednesday meets and i can bring it. I believe i paid $15 for it.

I'm out for the meets this week way to much crap going on at home. The cable should be here Friday from Tousley and I am hoping to be driving that night so I will let ya know. I actually ordered 2 cables just in case :D

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
lol possibly.

From what i have seen with aftermarket clutch's, If the ball stud isnt adjusted out or use of an extended one, it puts a bad angle on the TO bearing and added stress to the cable from having the fork at a bad angle. A lot of the aftermarket clutch plates fingers dont sit at the same height as the stock clutch causing the issue. Just ran into it again after i did a spec 2+ in a 03. couldnt get enough adj out of the firewall adj and fork was at a bad angle. Spaced out the ball stud 1/4 and positioned the fork a lot more centered and allowed the firewall adj to have a lot of adj if needed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info