• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Looking to buy an 04 cobra have a few questions?

SVTJim87

I Eat Rice
Dec 29, 2010
Im looking for an 04 Cobra in the next few months. I want to try to find a stock or near stock 04 but it seems to be pretty hard. So what are the things I should be looking for when taking a look under the hood and during the test drive?

When i find one any ideas of what kinda set-up i should go with and upgrades to make a street able summer daily driver with i around 450+rwhp?

I know the basic like intake,exhaust,pulleys theres alot of brands and sizes of pulleys whats a good set-up,dyno tune. What mods to help the life of the motor?

sorry about all the questions as you can tell this will be my first cobra and i just want to get the best stuff for it.... i sold the ls1 z28 because ive always loved cobras but could never afford one...BUT NOW I CAN!!:headbang:

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Hi and welcome!

Its gonna be pretty hard to find a stock 04 cobra but not impossible, as far as mods a 2.76 pulley, H or X pipe, catback, CAI and a tune will get you to around 450hp. I would also replace the stock idler pullies with billetflow ones, I would go with billetflow for the blower pulley too.

As far as mods to extend the life of your motor I would suggest a head cooling mod.

When you take a test drive watch for the car breaking up under boost, most likely whatever car you buy will already be pullied so try to find out some history on the car as far as who tuned it, if it has been raced at the track(not that there is anthing wrong with that)

You will find that these cars are kinda tricky to buy, they are either great examples and well taken care of... or they have been rode hard and put away wet.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I don't think it would be a problem getting a lightly modded one.

I have a 2.76 pulley with supporting mods and a very conservative tune. I never drive the car hard and only did the mods to have that extra low-end power. Car is never drag raced or beat on. I take very good care of it and wash / wax / change all fluids regularly, etc.

If you can find a car that's cared for like that, it would be worth getting.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
I don't think it would be a problem getting a lightly modded one.

I have a 2.76 pulley with supporting mods and a very conservative tune. I never drive the car hard and only did the mods to have that extra low-end power. Car is never drag raced or beat on. I take very good care of it and wash / wax / change all fluids regularly, etc.

If you can find a car that's cared for like that, it would be worth getting.

^^^^^ a perfect example of "reasearching the owner" as well as the car and why I prefer to buy direct instead of from a dealer. My 00GT was built by a meticulous SOB who did all the work himself and was the only owner. Based on his online history at modfords I had no reservations buying from him.

@ the OP....don't worry about buying a modded car. I prefer doing it this way as you don't have to spend $$$ doing it yourself. As long as the previous owner respected the car and had a good tune on it you got nothin to worrry about.

Cobratron

Regular
Jun 1, 2009
^^^^^ a perfect example of "reasearching the owner" as well as the car and why I prefer to buy direct instead of from a dealer. My 00GT was built by a meticulous SOB who did all the work himself and was the only owner. Based on his online history at modfords I had no reservations buying from him.

@ the OP....don't worry about buying a modded car. I prefer doing it this way as you don't have to spend $$$ doing it yourself. As long as the previous owner respected the car and had a good tune on it you got nothin to worrry about.

I agree 100% research and ANALYZE the owner if you get a chance. I would avoid dealers as they are great at concealing a beaten to death Cobra. My car is basically stock (CAI, exhaust, roll bar, and lowered) and I baby the living sh* out of it. Bought it from a private seller who's wife made him sell the car because she was pregnant with the 3rd kid.

If you do buy from a private seller I would take the car to a Ford dealership(call first to make sure they have some mech's with SVT experience) or take it to a trust worthy mechanic and inspect every inch of the car.

BE CAREFUL of Cobra owners who roll the mileage back. When I was buying mine my mechanic caught the owner red handed with messing with the odometer by finding his emissions papers in the glove box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info