• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help with throwout bearing problem!

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
Well my ford racing throwout bearing started making alot of noise, so I put a new one in alone wit the LDC freeplay mod last night. I have a problem if I have it adjusted so it just barley not touching the clutch, but then it engages like a cm off the floor. Then if I adjust it how I it like were it engages right in the middle the tob is just riding the clutch, not to mention the peddle rattles. Any help this little problem is driving me nuts.

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
Well my ford racing throwout bearing started making alot of noise, so I put a new one in alone wit the LDC freeplay mod last night. I have a problem if I have it adjusted so it just barley not touching the clutch, but then it engages like a cm off the floor. Then if I adjust it how I it like were it engages right in the middle the tob is just riding the clutch, not to mention the peddle rattles. Any help this little problem is driving me nuts.

when you replaced the tob did you install the fork correctly?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I hate to beak the news to you , but if you leave it adjusted in the position that you like it in, rather than the position that it should be in, you'll be installing another TOB fairly soon.

These bearings cannot maintain constant contact with the PP fingers and survive. They will fail. You have to adjust it so that when the pedal is at rest, that is at the top of the stroke, there is no contact with the PP fingers. As the clutch breaks in some more, the engagement point will rise a little, but not a lot.
This is just one of the several weak points in the Mustang clutch system.

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
I hate to beak the news to you , but if you leave it adjusted in the position that you like it in, rather than the position that it should be in, you'll be installing another TOB fairly soon.

These bearings cannot maintain constant contact with the PP fingers and survive. They will fail. You have to adjust it so that when the pedal is at rest, that is at the top of the stroke, there is no contact with the PP fingers. As the clutch breaks in some more, the engagement point will rise a little, but not a lot.
This is just one of the several weak points in the Mustang clutch system.

Ya I really don't wnan pull trans out again. If i put to were the tob not touching the pp its super hard to get it to go into gear, and clutch starts grabbing like a mm off the floor, I do have an adjustable pivot ball laying around can this be of help.

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
Re opening my thread, still have the same problem. The new tob is starting to making noise now which is my fault but I got to lazy to touch the trans again this year, as i wont be driving it much until spring. Any more suggestion? Everything is installed correctly. The tob is touching the pp but I can't adjust it any farther from the pp or else I can't shift. I am really stumped, maybe its th400 time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info