• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hello and help!!!

Termilvr

Jul 27, 2010
Hi i just picked up a 03 sb cobra with 3000 miles. I am from Libertyville but spend most of my time in Dekalb as i will be a jr. at NIU. I just picked my cobra up last sun and i have some questions. It is very hard to put the car into gear, unlike anything i have ever driven before is this normal? also when slowly accelerating in 1st i can sometimes hear a faint noise and iam wondering if it is knock, bad tob, or a bad cat and it is freaking me out. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
First off, welcome to the site and great looking Sonic.

Is the noise in 1st a grinding noise or a whirring noise? That differentiation is a big deal. These cars wit the stock setup tend to have issues at times getting into 1st. It could be as simple as taking some play out of your cable

Termilvr

Jul 27, 2010
First off, welcome to the site and great looking Sonic.

Is the noise in 1st a grinding noise or a whirring noise? That differentiation is a big deal. These cars wit the stock setup tend to have issues at times getting into 1st. It could be as simple as taking some play out of your cable

its more of a whining noise but i can only here it sometimes and it is very faint. could this also be what is making it hard to get into the gears?

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
its more of a whining noise but i can only here it sometimes and it is very faint. could this also be what is making it hard to get into the gears?

The T56 is a loud transmission, mine has had a faint whirring/whining noise since day one. If its really out of control is could be a sign of a TOB bearing ready to quit. (if its stock and low mileage I would doubt it

Termilvr

Jul 27, 2010
The T56 is a loud transmission, mine has had a faint whirring/whining noise since day one. If its really out of control is could be a sign of a TOB bearing ready to quit. (if its stock and low mileage I would doubt it
so do you think a fw adjuster and aftermarket quadrant will fix my notchy shift problems? i have driven my friends sti and it has a fairly notchy shifter but when driving my cobra its on a whole other level and i can only granny shift for the life of me in it

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
so do you think a fw adjuster and aftermarket quadrant will fix my notchy shift problems? i have driven my friends sti and it has a fairly notchy shifter but when driving my cobra its on a whole other level and i can only granny shift for the life of me in it

yea, you should get the firewall adjuster/quadrant. definetly improved the same symptoms i had in my cobra. i also swaped to the gm synchromesh stuff.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
If you are going to install a quadrant and firewall adjuster, get the right ones.
You want a "quick release" quadrant, Steeda sells one as do other companies and you want a firewall adjuster with some type of locking mechanism that will prevent unwanted movement of the adjuster. The will back off by themselves without it.

Another possibility, not that you shouldn't install the above pieces anyway, but your clutch could be going bad, along with the TOB, regardless of having only 3,000 miles.

Nice car BTW.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Just a thought:
You might have an aftermarket shifter which will cause more transmission noise to be transmitted into the cabin. It will also feel "stiff" and require more force to get into gear.

If it has set screws, they might be incorrectly adjusted possibly causing it to be hard to get into gear.

Also, I live near Libertyville and could check it out if you want. I should be able to tell what's normal and what's not since I've had my 03 Cobra since May of 03.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Nice pick up, welcome to the site! Love Sonic Blue Cobras!!!

As others have said, I would put a quadrant and firewall adjuster in it. Makes a world of difference! In the mean time, I believe the stock cobra clutch pedal is self adjusting. If so put your foot under the pedal and lift up until you feel a click. That may help some.

Termilvr

Jul 27, 2010
Just a thought:
You might have an aftermarket shifter which will cause more transmission noise to be transmitted into the cabin. It will also feel "stiff" and require more force to get into gear.

If it has set screws, they might be incorrectly adjusted possibly causing it to be hard to get into gear.

Also, I live near Libertyville and could check it out if you want. I should be able to tell what's normal and what's not since I've had my 03 Cobra since May of 03.

where are you located? what color is your cobra?

Termilvr

Jul 27, 2010
it appears my private messaging isnt working, i cant send u any messages

Just a thought:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info