• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I figured out my Voltage Drain

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I just put a NAPA top of the line Alternator on the car for re-assurance since the stocker was original....Last thing I need is a voltage issue on the dyno next week.

I drove the car to work today and Im getting the same shit when stopped for a while....voltage drops anywhere from 11.9 to 12.5. WTF right?

Its the High Speed Cooling fan doing it. I know the fan draws tons of power, but I dont have enough Cobra knowledge to know if this is a sign of a tired fan motor or if this is normal. Ironically my Marauder does the exact same thing!

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
The Optimas I have had were all good.
I'm going to quit commenting about your problem because I missed the initial explanation of just what exactly the problem is and I don't want to tell you something without knowing what'a going on.
But, with the fan on high speed and the 3 pumps on full, that would probably be enough to knock a weak battery down into the voltage range you are seeing at an idle.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
You might consider just bringing the 3rd pump online as needed, say after 15 pounds of boost or something like that. You definitely don't need them all on at an idle.

A Hobbs switch can do that for you.

Kurgan told me to do that.....then when it came time to put the parts on he told me he wanted all 3 on full time. :confused:

..I even bought the Hobbs switch! :dunno:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Actually Johnson Controls makes Interstate Megatron Auto batteries.
Johnson controls also makes/owns Optima batteries.

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., (US) +1-972-991-1444, 1-888-772-3600 or http://www.interstatebatteries.com/

50-Month, (Green Top) [Starting] by Johnson Controls

AGM Series [VRLA Spiral Wound] by Optima

Ameriton by Johnson Controls

BBG Series [VRLA] by C&D Technologies

Big Joe [Deep Cycle] by U.S. Battery

BPS Series [SLA Deep Cycle] by Power-Sonic

Bulldog [Deep Cycle] by Bulldog Battery

CATV Series [VRLA] by C&D Technologies

Cycle-Tron [Starting] by Yuasa

Cranking [Starting] by Johnson Controls

DCS, (Deep Cycle Series) by C&D Technologies

Extreme Performance [Starting Sprial Cell] by Optima

GC Series [Deep Cycle] by C&D Technologies

Mega-Tron, (Gray Top) [Starting] by Johnson Controls

Plus, (Black Top) [Starting] by Johnson Controls

Motorcycle [Power Sports Starting] by Yuasa

MVP, (Mobility Valu-Plus) Series [Deep Cycle] by C&D Technologies

PC Series [SLA Deep Cycle] by Power-Sonic

PowerVolt [Starting] by Johnson Controls

PS Series [SLA Deep Cycle] by Power-Sonic

SG Series [Gel Cell Deep Cycle] by East Penn

SC, (SpiralCell) Series by Optima

SDCS Series [Deep Cycle] by C&D Technologies

TCOM Series [SLA Deep Cycle] by Power-Sonic

TEL Series [Deep Cycle Deep Cycle] by C&D Technologies

U Series [Deep Cycle] by U.S. Battery

UPS Series [Deep Cycle Deep Cycle] by C&D Technologies

V Series [Starting] by Enertec Mexico

Workaholic [Starting] by Johnson Controls

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
With the 3 pumps running full time, combined with the heat it makes....its no good.

im gonna run the cooling duct to the alternator, run an additional 6ga wire from the battery to the alternator, parallel the supply voltage line to the alternator and get a super mega awesome battery for it.

If that doesnt work I will make a custom something or other to run dual alternators. Im not joking either...ill do it.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
It's fairly normal for cars to stay within 13.5 to 14.5 volts when running. The only time i worry is when the alternator drags to catch up when a load is applied or the voltage hangs around 13.5 without load and lower with a load on.

Ive never seen it above 14.0.
It starts out about 13.8 cold and progressively drops as everything gets hot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info