Anyone know anything about...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Maintenance/service is expensive and some parts aren't exactly available at your local NAPA.

I kinda figured that much, I don't mind maintenance/service being a bit expensive as I no longer have a car payment, and if its worth the cost, it looks like it would be a really nice car.

Any word on how the interior is, mechanical reliability etc?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Just like anything, some cars will be flawless while others will be shit, depends on the previous owner and such, but Consumer Reports rates those years with about average engine reliability with the V- 6, and much worse than average reliability (their worst rating) for the four-cylinder from 1998 to 2002.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
another one just popped up forsale:

There is a 96 Auto, black with grey leather interior, $1000, FWD. Needs shocks/springs/auxfan/windowmotor/headlight stalk/headunit/windshield (one crack, not all the way through)? and has 150K on it.

The other is a 98, Manual, Silver with Black heated leather interior, sunroof, $2000 obo, Quattro, 113k, needs most likely rear wheel bearings, but not 100% certian.

both are V-6's, albeit the 98 is a 5 valve, the 96 is only a 2 valve. (so 18 more hp or something like that, but far more potential if I ever decide to do anything with it)

I'm thinking about making an offer on the 98, don't think I want the 96 at all, Rather have a stick and AWD.

I'd really love to have a near-lux/lux DD, and then maybe I can pick up a fox body or something in spring as a toy, and have no payments.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Those years are the worst. I almost picked one up. People that own them say that it's great car but they were tired of it being constantly in the shop. If you get the v6 do the timing belt. The suspension goes out often (the control arms go out), shocks are pretty good on them, they never really go out, and the abs does go out also (sensors and modules, you can just pull the fuse if you don't wanna bother with it). But if you get one just replace the control arms with better ones and you won't have to worry about them again. The engine is solid. It's a pretty nice car once you fix the mechanical issues.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
There is a 96 Auto, black with grey leather interior, $1000, FWD. Needs shocks/springs/auxfan/windowmotor/headlight stalk/headunit/windshield (one crack, not all the way through)? and has 150K on it.

:bowrofl:

tell me you arent looking at that one. 1,000 to buy the car and another $1000 to fix what's wrong with it already.

why do you need 2 cars? you dont have a dependent girlfriend that needs a car, you cant drive both of them at once, and your Beretta is just as much of a beater as any of these shitbox euro cars will be (except you wont be fixing the chevy every other day)

you aren't really good at buying decent cars, are you....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
:bowrofl:

tell me you arent looking at that one. 1,000 to buy the car and another $1000 to fix what's wrong with it already.

why do you need 2 cars? you dont have a dependent girlfriend that needs a car, you cant drive both of them at once, and your Beretta is just as much of a beater as any of these shitbox euro cars will be (except you wont be fixing the chevy every other day)

you aren't really good at buying decent cars, are you....

Yet again, I didn't say I was Buying, I said 'looking at' hence why I asked what kind of experiances people have with these cars...

and I still need a second car for my mom when her accord gets repoed.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
another one just popped up forsale:

The other is a 98, Manual, Silver with Black heated leather interior, sunroof, $2000 obo, Quattro, 113k, needs most likely rear wheel bearings, but not 100% certian.

both are V-6's, albeit the 98 is a 5 valve, the 96 is only a 2 valve. (so 18 more hp or something like that, but far more potential if I ever decide to do anything with it)

I'm thinking about making an offer on the 98, don't think I want the 96 at all, Rather have a stick and AWD.

I'd really love to have a near-lux/lux DD, and then maybe I can pick up a fox body or something in spring as a toy, and have no payments.

Those prices seem pretty cheap, where are you finding these cars?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info