anyone try this stuff?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
all that stuff does is drop the surface tension of the liquid... so it actually not only cools off daster but warms up faster too.... but anyways, id stay away from that! do what i did on my 07 SI and bypass the water line through the throttle body.... you will see a bigger improvement with that, than the coolant additive

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
That stuff isn't meant to add to coolant, it's for people who run straight water in their cooling systems but want to keep a lubricant additive to not destroy the bearings in the water pump as well as prevent corrosion. (coolant has lubricants in it already). So, naturally you're going to run cooler using just water as water has a greater natural ability to dissipate heat than does coolant/antifreeze.

Why don't they use this from the factory? Because your block would freeze in the winter time and you'd be SOL with a pile of scrap under your hood.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
tell me a little more about that

It's pretty simple/straight forward. Just undo the coolant hoses that go to and from your throttle body (probably directly underneath the inlet) and clamp a tube inline with them or get a new piece of hose and run it to/from where each of the original hoses start from.

This will decrease intake air temps, but it's also going to make your car run like shit for the first 20-30 minutes of driving when it gets cold outside and you may lose a bit of mpg due to the cooler, more dense air charge requiring more fuel.

You also may notice a high idle for longer than normal on cold starts depending on how the IAC works on those motors. I know mitsu's use coolant through the TB to determine IAC motor position. I don't think Honda's are the same, but you may want to look into that.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
It's pretty simple/straight forward. Just undo the coolant hoses that go to and from your throttle body (probably directly underneath the inlet) and clamp a tube inline with them or get a new piece of hose and run it to/from where each of the original hoses start from.

This will decrease intake air temps, but it's also going to make your car run like shit for the first 20-30 minutes of driving when it gets cold outside and you may lose a bit of mpg due to the cooler, more dense air charge requiring more fuel.

You also may notice a high idle for longer than normal on cold starts depending on how the IAC works on those motors. I know mitsu's use coolant through the TB to determine IAC motor position. I don't think Honda's are the same, but you may want to look into that.

thats how you do it... but to be honest i havent noticed any problems with cold sarts in the winter, maybe its brcause our civics are drive by wire? but i have noticed a big improvement in reducing heat soak after driving for awhile... apparently K20's love cold intake temps- even hondata sells a phenolic intake gasket that reduce heat transfer into the manifold, and they are a very respectible company.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info