i think i have a DSM gremlin

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Well here's the deal.

Went to the Bowling meet( good time BTW) when i was starting my GSX it started just fine. Turned on the head lights and DED. Tried to start the car again and nothing :dunno:
I mean all the Idiot lights would go on but as sooon as you try to start the car Nothing. Let go of the key and still nothing. Turn the key all the way back and switch it on the dash lights go back on. Try to start and DED
Did that for a while till it started (with the head lights off) and when you switch the head light on then DIE :mad:
I did finally got it to were it didn't die when i turned on the lights but why would this happen?

Mind you i replaced my Battery about a week ago and this all started only 2 days ago. I can only guess that it might be the ground wire (not sure)

Mick says Alternator but its not that old. maybe 4-5 years iirk.
I do have a "check engine" light on but i don't think thats it. (will find the code in the morning).
Any other possibility?

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
id check the starter, sounds very similar to my woes last winter, replaced the starter and problem is gone.

Start with the battery connections, check the alternator connection.

I assume you were reading around 13-14 volts before it acted up right?

Alternators dont have anything to do with starting the car, and they just dont go out all of a sudden then work again later.

Prepare to purchase a new starter though.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
The solenoid is where the main power comes from, if there is a contact inside or wire that is busted and the vibrations finally broke it loose completely and it starts when the wires touch inside.

I had the exact same problems, it would die when it was running because the main power block wasnt getting full power all the time. Since it supplies the main power and the ignition comes in down the circuit, I went right for the 1st thing that the power is supplied from. His negative terminal can be loose and or corroded to cause this as well.

His tumbler might be bad as well but if it was it would stick or cycle thru the detents without the key inside.

The wiring problem if there is one associated with the ignition at the column will be the ignition switch. no wires actually run to the cylinder itself.

He could have a broken selector rod clip inside the column that might cause this but that usually gives a stiff cylinder and is noticeable instantly.

It could be his ECM as well.

AlwaysVTEC

Addict
Mar 20, 2008
i can see where it can be the starter from your point of view, but i dont see how the starter solonoid can kill the car when running. if it was a faulty starter solonoid the car yes would start randomly, but once the car is running...... why would his car shut off wihen the lights were turned on?

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
Loose connection, bad connection, fuseable link toasted?

Could be a number of things, but Id look at the main power supply first, move down to the main power distribution(solenoid) then check down the line.

The car shouldnt shut off with the lights. Thats the weird thing. I bet its a bad ground somewhere too.

Solenoid, ECM or bad ground are my guesses.

E, you got a multimeter?

Check the voltage and see where you stand.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Starter was my first guess but i'm rulling that out since usually when the solenoid is bad i still hear something (in D nile). Went to AZ to get the check engine code. 2nd 02 sensor was the cause since i don't have a cat. Told them about my problem and they put a meter on my terminals. Seems that when i turn on the lights and or anything that would drain a good amount of power IE, lights, air, etc... the volts dropped enough to die. So i changed the Alt. and so far so good. Most likely my ground wires are shot too considering the old battery was all corroded.

I have a V meter on the turbo timer and i didn't even think about lookin at it at the time. :pat: ya i'm an 1D10T. I'm really hoping thats its not the starter coz if it is then its a real bitch to get to.

But Ray, everything your sayin makes too much sense. So if it is the starter? Damn you for being right. :bash: J/k :bigthumb:

10Q all BTW. :bigok:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info