C5Z06's... What to look for?

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
well of course the last model year is gonna be superior to the others. but not much of a change is gonna be noticed about it i don't think..i would say look for a 02' or early model 03'. One of the main reasons, the fuel assembly and filter.. The filter is mounted right on the frame next to the tank, and the fuel pump assembly is right there on the side of the tank..

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
01 also had forged wheels and thinner glass and no HUD. Lighter car > more power. Considering I'd likely remove the cats anyway, the extra 20hp would never be missed. Plus little things like the badges only saying Z06 and not saying the hp.... I dunno it's just cooler to me. Plus some guy took a bone stock 01 and ran an 11.99 god pass and to my knowledge it is still the fastest c5z

redevo58

Regular
Apr 3, 2010
01 also had forged wheels and thinner glass and no HUD. Lighter car > more power. Considering I'd likely remove the cats anyway, the extra 20hp would never be missed. Plus little things like the badges only saying Z06 and not saying the hp.... I dunno it's just cooler to me. Plus some guy took a bone stock 01 and ran an 11.99 god pass and to my knowledge it is still the fastest c5z

Actually the forged wheels where heavier that the the spun cast ones. I have heard from some one that owned an 01 that they tend to burn oil, plus the power gain from 02-04 is from revised internal components and lighter valves etc.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The power is from the revised cam, sodium filled hollow exhaust valves, and removal of 2 pre cats. The way I think though, is that I'd likely do heads and a cam swap anyway. And of course run long tubes with no cats so it's really a non issue for me.

I've never heard anything about the oil. Likely it was a rumor started by an old fart that never beat on his car so the rings never got seated correctly.

On and another thing to look for on any C5 in general is the seals on the rear diff. The output shaft housing to the diff case seals are pretty common to leak so if u see that I wouldn't freak out since it's more or less normal, but obviously something you'd want to fix.

redevo58

Regular
Apr 3, 2010
The power is from the revised cam, sodium filled hollow exhaust valves, and removal of 2 pre cats. The way I think though, is that I'd likely do heads and a cam swap anyway. And of course run long tubes with no cats so it's really a non issue for me.

I've never heard anything about the oil. Likely it was a rumor started by an old fart that never beat on his car so the rings never got seated correctly.

On and another thing to look for on any C5 in general is the seals on the rear diff. The output shaft housing to the diff case seals are pretty common to leak so if u see that I wouldn't freak out since it's more or less normal, but obviously something you'd want to fix.

There is some truth to the oil burning, my buddy car would eat a quart of oil every 3k miles.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Even though the 01 are rated at a lower power level said friend with the 01 was trapping 115 with just the zip tie mod and 128 on a direct port 150 shot.

AFAIK, he actually trapped 117 with the zip tie mod and a nitrous tune. That thing was a freak. Graham was never able to trap 117 even with mods, although scott can drive like a mofo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info