FML, Got the dreaded Emissions test notice, Any help/suggestions? (Ford Content)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Long story short, My 98 Ranger with a V-8 swap was titled in Ottawa IL where it was Exempt (I've owned the truck for over 3 years). I finally updated my registration 2 months ago, and got a Emissions testing notice in the mail today....

Truck was origionally a 4 cylinder, now has a 2001 ECU, 1998 V-8 engine, no Cat's, rear O2's disabled, EGR Disabled.

Currently my CEL's say I'm running rich, and 2 'garbage' codes for sensors my truck doesn't have (Fuel level sending units for Explorer and air suspension IIRC).

I have 2 primary concerns here,

#1) If I go ahead and chase down the CEL's, or use my tune to get rid of them, will I still have issues at the testing place because of the ECU and engine being from vehicles other than what I'm driving? They may not even be able to do anything anyways since I can't flash my ECU unless its in my explorer, or another ranger, so lord knows what else is wrong with the wiring?

#2) Do they still do sniffer tests on B-class trucks? I know they don't on cars with OBD2 to my understanding.

So the 3 options I think I have are:

#1) Chase down CEL's, and bring the truck in.

#2) Title it as a 'Show' truck, Not sure how I'd accomplish this, or what impact on my insurance it would have, but I've heard this exempts the truck and is how I should handle the situation since its swapped.

#3) Buy a new Shell and deal with it later (my truck is pretty visually beat up to begin with, and I have been debating for a while how much it'd cost/trouble it would be to get the body work done on it...)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
From the Goverments EPA site:

Exempt, Kit and Custom Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from vehicle emissions tests:
Diesel-powered vehicles and vehicles that are powered exclusively by electricity;
Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles and motorized pedal-cycles;
Antique vehicles, custom vehicles, street rods, and vehicles of model year 1967 or before.
Vehicles operated exclusively for parade or ceremonial purposes by any veterans, fraternal, or civic organization, organized on a not-for-profit basis; *
Vehicles of model year 1995 or before that were in compliance with the Illinois Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law on February 1, 2007;
Farm vehicles and implements of husbandry;
Vehicles registered in, subject to, and in compliance with the emission inspection requirements of another state;
Vehicles for which a Junking Certificate has been issued by the Secretary of State pursuant to the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/3-117);
Vehicles operated exclusively in organized amateur or professional sporting activities as defined in the Environmental Protection Act (415 ILCS 5/1 et seq.);

Race Car/Show Car affidavits are available at test stations. Please read and complete the affidavit carefully, and enclose all required documentation. The affidavit must be resubmitted every two years to retain the exemption. Any questions can be directed to the Illinois EPA at (217)785-7449.
Implements of warfare owned by the State or federal government.
ā€œCustom vehiclesā€ are defined in the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/1-113) as a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years of age and of a model year after 1948 or a vehicle that is certified by an inspector of the National Street Rod Association, on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State, to be a custom vehicle manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years of age and of a model year after 1948 and has been altered from the manufacturer original design or has a body constructed from non-original materials and which is maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours and similar uses and which is not used for general daily transportation.

ā€œStreet rodsā€ are defined in the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/1-202) as a motor vehicle that is a 1948 or older vehicle or a vehicle that that has been certified by an inspector of the National Street Rod Association, on a form prescribed by the Secretary of State, to be a street rod that was manufactured after 1948 to resemble a vehicle that was manufactured before 1949 and has been altered from the manufacturerā€˜s original design or has a body constructed from non-original materials and which is maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours and similar uses and which is not used for general daily transportation.

If you have any other questions, please visit the Customer Service Representative at any of the vehicle emissions testing stations, call the Illinois EPA at (800) 635-2380, or check this website for updates.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
their computers do not read the PCM vin....ive ran plenty of cars through with junkyard ecu's with no problems...the only thing their system does is check the on board diagnostic emissions monitors.
you cant just clear codes as the vehicle has to see at least two drive cycles and anywhere from 10-100 miles for the test to run and pass/fail (ready/not ready) newer cars have far more extensive OBDiagnostic test sequences
your lucky though, any vehicle 99 and older can still pass even with two monitors not run/passed/failed so you may be able to squeek by by spoofing the phantom equipment codes and driving it just enough to run most of the monitors....unless you can flash it to set it to instant pass...then id go that route.
with Btruck plates you may be required to run the BAR97 idle sniffer test...but youll have to run it through to know for sure.

btw there is also a repair exemption if you can show them reciepts for >1k in repairs with no positive result you can get off the hook.
also you can just get an extended registration for "drive cycle testing" it'll usually give you another 6 months (or less dep on what you pay for) after the plates expire.

you can always "buy" a 95 ranger and do a "body swap" but ill stop there lol

good luck

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
their computers do not read the PCM vin....ive ran plenty of cars through with junkyard ecu's with no problems...the only thing their system does is check the on board diagnostic emissions monitors.
you cant just clear codes as the vehicle has to see at least two drive cycles and anywhere from 10-100 miles for the test to run and pass/fail (ready/not ready) newer cars have far more extensive OBDiagnostic test sequences
your lucky though, any vehicle 99 and older can still pass even with two monitors not run/passed/failed so you may be able to squeek by by spoofing the phantom equipment codes and driving it just enough to run most of the monitors....unless you can flash it to set it to instant pass...then id go that route.
with Btruck plates you may be required to run the BAR97 idle sniffer test...but youll have to run it through to know for sure.

btw there is also a repair exemption if you can show them reciepts for >1k in repairs with no positive result you can get off the hook.
also you can just get an extended registration for "drive cycle testing" it'll usually give you another 6 months (or less dep on what you pay for) after the plates expire.

you can always "buy" a 95 ranger and do a "body swap" but ill stop there lol

good luck

This unfortunately may be the permanent solution.

Just took a look at the affidavit, and the ranger wouldn't be eligible. So I'd have to clear all the codes and pray for no sniffer test. I'll call on that tomorrow.

Going to call Sniper as well to see if the higher end commando software can tackle this as well.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I may be .2 from winning the 1/4 mile race (at the moment) but I won this battle

My shit passes w/no problems :bowrofl: :ws:

lol, I had to :s00ls:

Indeed :fu: :bowrofl:

I just emailed the Sniper/Delta forces guys to see if the Commando software (which I have been putting off purchasing) can suppress codes... if it can do that, this whole disaster may be far easier than I was worried about.

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
My saturn has cels all the time. I just cleared them drove the shit outta it and was able to pass. The results showed the area I get my cel was "not ready"

GTO passes and when I pull in the whole area smells of gas lol the people workin there really don't care.

Clear ur cels first then see what they tell u

Using Tapa yo!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info