Meth/Water Injection, Experiance?

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
Anyone have any good links/resources on installs/use/etc?

Who all has experience with it? Good/Bad/Indifferent?

Really have no idea how it's exactly supposed to work, but I've been told it would be a huge benefit to my non-intercooled setup.

I can google it just fine, curious if anyone has any specific resources they use/like.

I am curious too. There is a kit someone sells on eBay I have heard good things about. Devil something. I briefly talked to DD bout this at lukes one day. Is it worth it?

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
On my kit, it would increase hp from around 625 to 665, not worth it IMO. Heard way too many stories of people running out of meth and still running the car hard, and then KABOOM!!!

They have a few options for safety. Also I have a led to a switch that let's me know when it's low. Plus I use the stock washer tank and it also has a factory sensor. You just have to not romp it when the light comes on and go fill it up. I have an extra switch with led if you want to go that route! Easy install for the kit too! I have a snow performance kit.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
No clue. I'd think they'd let it in the bed over the cabin. In the cabin you'd need a jacket I believe.

Id think even a small 50 shot would have much better cooling effects then meth would. For a proper meth kit you'd probably be in the price range of a decent nitrous kit.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I run meth on the TR. works great. Investigate alkycontrol.com... probably one of the nicest progressive kits out there. no safeguards for if you run out of alky though. I like it because it is guaranteed to run well on 100% meth.

(I run 13-14 lbs of boost and less than 18° timing without it... 24 lbs and 21-23 ° with it)

nitrous will definitely cool the charge plenty, but some people would tend to say that the higher cylinder pressures that come with running spray could lead to engine failure. the meth allows you to make more power, the spray makes more power as a separate power adder.

if you have the right safeguards in place, meth will work just fine. and remember that it is another thing to pay attention to.

run your truck on E85 and don't add the other systems is the other option.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I run meth on the TR. works great. Investigate alkycontrol.com... probably one of the nicest progressive kits out there. no safeguards for if you run out of alky though. I like it because it is guaranteed to run well on 100% meth.

(I run 13-14 lbs of boost and less than 18° timing without it... 24 lbs and 21-23 ° with it)

nitrous will definitely cool the charge plenty, but some people would tend to say that the higher cylinder pressures that come with running spray could lead to engine failure. the meth allows you to make more power, the spray makes more power as a separate power adder.

if you have the right safeguards in place, meth will work just fine. and remember that it is another thing to pay attention to.

run your truck on E85 and don't add the other systems is the other option.

I'd imagine I'd need quite a bit more tuning to run E85 *And bigger injectors*? Also, the 'corn' subsidy just dried up, so I fear ethanol may become increasingly rare in the area...

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
There are some kits for the 335i that I'm going to check out. There are failsafes in place for those systems so that if the pump runs dry, the controller adjusts timing and drops boost back down to safe levels automatically. I'd definitely try to find a solution that has some sort of failsafes in place.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
your tuner should be able to drop timing and/or add add fuel when the Air Intake Temps rise. Simple and effective fail safe.

I never came close to running my tank empty street driving it. I also checked it almost every time I drove it.

Some kits have a LED for a low tank as well.

The injection set ups have been around for decades. This is nothing new by any means. It is still used because it works. We have seen cars pick up 80-150hp over a base pump gas tune.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
true, you could do something with the timing tables if your IAT's were high, although I doubt that most of us are running a manifold air temp sensor/speed density setup where the air temperature would be accurate. typically the IAT is put before the alcohol would get to it (at least on stockish stuff...) so it only measures the difference in ambient air temperature and not post boost etc.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Correct. But even on stock applications we move the sensor if needed. So that it is down stream of the nozzle. My stand alone even uses a stock sensor.

Being it is used as a fail safe it is not like we look for a 5 or 10 degree change to trigger it. Some thing like this......it is 8o degrees on the dyno and at full boost we see 180 degrees AIT with out the meth injection. With meth we see 100 degree AIT. It would start taking out timing from max timing at 130 degrees and continue to pull more the higher the temp goes. Say maybe 1-2 degrees for every 10 degree increase in AIT. Extra fuel can be sprayed as well to help cool the intake charge.

It is one of several options you have. Just depends on what you have and how much money you want to spend. But even with the stock sensor in the correct spot you have some control.

People also spray just water so they do not have to worry about the additional fuel added with the meth. They just use it for the cooling effect on the intake charge. But then you miss out on the extra fuel and octane from the meth. So limiting the power potential of the combo.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Here is another debate I've seen, but never got the consensus for which is best.

Nozzle placement. Is it best to have it further away from the throttle body so that the solution fully atomizes to lower IAT or have it closer to the throttle body so that the solution makes its way into the combustion chamber to lower EGT? I've heard people go both ways with good results.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
dasfinc, if your looking at snow performance or AEM still shoot us an email and we can get you a great price on a kit.

[email protected]

on a side note what is the cost for an air to water intercooler for your setup?

Somewhere between $1 and $10,000...

Already have hood clearance issues so there is no space for an A/W Intercooler to be placed between the blower and the upper intake manifold, and it would have to be entirely custom no matter what :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info