first girl in here... maybe?

moviebuff

Basically, I like movies
Nov 26, 2007
Hanover Park/Bloomington Normal
I have been wanting a bike ever since I was little watching my dad work on his....

I'm determined to make this happen this summer! I need feedback about motorcycle lessons and where the best place to go is. I looked up a few online, but I wanted first hand feedback before I make a decision.

Thanks guys! :wavey:

Any help/suggestions in purchasing would be much appreciated too! :)

I was thinking a 250cc, but I have a feeling once I learn how to ride a little better I'm gonna want more power... what do you think??

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Easiest way to learn the ropes of riding a bike, find someone with an ATV, same setup, you're on 4 wheels so you don't have to worry about the balancing as you get a feel for how to drive it. Classes are usually available at colleges, however, you might have to do some research to see who has what open. I considered it when I got my license, everything was booked till the next year. I just ended up taking the test without them.

IMO, anything up to say 5-600cc's is a good starter bike, depending on how comfortable you feel. Another thing to consider, bigger the engine, the bigger the bike in some cases. So, you might want to sit on a few, see how they feel.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Easiest way to learn the ropes of riding a bike, find someone with an ATV, same setup, you're on 4 wheels so you don't have to worry about the balancing as you get a feel for how to drive it. Classes are usually available at colleges, however, you might have to do some research to see who has what open. I considered it when I got my license, everything was booked till the next year. I just ended up taking the test without them.

IMO, anything up to say 5-600cc's is a good starter bike, depending on how comfortable you feel. Another thing to consider, bigger the engine, the bigger the bike in some cases. So, you might want to sit on a few, see how they feel.

On the money

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Here is my thread when I got my license and first bike:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44683

I took the class in Montgomory at the Catapillar plant. Most the bikes there were between 200 and 250's. All of the women/smaller people got put on 250CC Honda Shadows or Suzuki Boulevards.

I ended up buying a Suzuki 500E, sold it before the season ended, most/many bikes from what I've seen have quite the jump in power between 500cc's, and 600cc's (Normally 2 cyl Vs 4 cyl). I liked the Suzuki, but didn't have it long since I got my license right as the season ended.

And here is the link that got me started (From RISKI, RIP)

http://motorcyclesafety.illinoisstate.edu/default.aspx

moviebuff

Basically, I like movies
Nov 26, 2007
Hanover Park/Bloomington Normal
Thanks! Yea I have ridden ATVs every year in Wisconsin for the past 6 years. This will be the first year I won't ride b/c of my job. :(

I had an ex think that it would be a great idea to try and teach me to ride one weekend on a Yamaha fzr 600. It was WAY too big. I ended up falling pretty hard b/c when I stopped I wasn't able to hold it up and fell over. Massive bruise for about a month b/c of it. I'm thinking smaller for me b/c of that. (and no worries, the bike was fine! lol my leg broke its fall)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Thanks! Yea I have ridden ATVs every year in Wisconsin for the past 6 years. This will be the first year I won't ride b/c of my job. :(

I had an ex think that it would be a great idea to try and teach me to ride one weekend on a Yamaha fzr 600. It was WAY too big. I ended up falling pretty hard b/c when I stopped I wasn't able to hold it up and fell over. Massive bruise for about a month b/c of it. I'm thinking smaller for me b/c of that. (and no worries, the bike was fine! lol my leg broke its fall)

the Shadows and Boulevards they teach you on are very low/small, you will like learning on them alot more than a Fizzer.

ATV's are similar in regards to throttle/shifting, but once you are actually riding a bike it is night and day differnt.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
ATV's are similar in regards to throttle/shifting, but once you are actually riding a bike it is night and day differnt.

Very true. Gotta be able to balance the bike, be prepared for the worst, deal with moron drivers...etc. Most important thing to keep in mind, not to make you paranoid, everyone is out to get you. Just because you lock eyes with someone, doesn't mean they see you, and will probably still cut you off. Riding is great, just have to be smart about it and have to be 100% focused. :eek3:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
As mentioned, take a class. You get a discount on your insurance and you learn A LOT. I started off on my 600 with no prior riding experience. I just took it really slow on the throttle at first. Most newb accidents are because when you pull back on the throttle, your body goes back and the reaction is to pull the throttle back and off you go. Also, ride like everyone is trying to kill you. Always look for an out to dump the bike if a car is about to run you over. Cars will turn into you at intersections even if you are the only one on the road and they will merge into you. So don't assume they see you.
A 250cc is a great starter bike for cruising around town. If you plan on going on group rides with people though you will be topping out 1st and 2nd sometimes to catch up.
ALWAYS wear your gear. I cant stress how important it is. I started out always wearing my gear, but then wouldn't on short trips.Then some of my friends got into accidents during that one time that they didn't.
I don't care how hot you get or that it "takes away your periferal vision", I would wear a minimum of a Helmet, jacket and gloves. Boots and leather pants if you can afford them. I've seen 3 people walk away from 60-90mph crashes because they were wearing full race gear.

KagA152

Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Columbus, IN
If you have a weekend open for the MSF class do it. They might all be booked, but 95% of the time there is a walk in spots available. That is the best way to go about it. Were the ATVs you rode sport or utility? Great if they were sport quads, if youre used to brake, clutch, and shifter operation it will make things much easier.

What kind of bike do you want to get/what kind of riding do you want to do, cruiser, sport, or standard? I can offer advice on pretty much every make and model, worked in dealerships for almost four years before I decided to go back to school. I know Im going to get shit for this, but I dont think any bike with clip ons has a place on the street, especially in the hands of a newb

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010

i wish you'd fall on me.

:nutz:

:io:

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
You won't want a new bike as your first, but go to any and all dealerships you see and sit on bikes. That'll give you an idea of what is comfortable and what fits you.

I started off on a 1000 super sport last year. Wouldn't recommend for anyone that has never been on any kind of bike before.

Take the classes though.

divasixstar

TCG Elite Member
Jan 27, 2007
Elk Grove Village
I once dated a girl that had a bike, she was kinda crazy.

:bowrofl: haha turk.

find someone with a dirt bike... safer, because you can ride in the mud and stuff and doesn't hurt as much when you fall.

there's tons of free/20$ classes and you get your license through those classes, so you don't have to test at the dmv either which makes it convenient.

just make sure when you get out there on the road, pay extra close attention to the cars around you, people have no idea how to drive when bikes are on the road and thats how the majority of accidents occur... stupid people. i think everyone who has a license should have to go through a motorcycle safety course...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info