new car time

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
well slightly new / slightly used...however you want to look at it...its gonna be new to me

heres what im thinking about since ill be payin the neon off soon - keep in mind it might have to be daily driven, even in the winter but the delema is i buy a nice new car and beater truck to do the towing for the neon or buy i nice truck and keep the honda for gas mileage.

caddy CTS V (5.7L or 6.0L - dont really care since they all "LS" series motors)

pontiac G8 (gt or gxp)

dodge RAM 2500/3500 DIESEL

dodge RAM 1500 SRT-10 (pref. quad cab)

like i said if i get the caddy or g8 i will have to buy a beater truck to tow the neon. and im open to any other suggestions... thanks guys/girls

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just a heads up, to my understanding the SRT-10 Rams have the same transmission as the vipers, and aren't rated to tow much, If any.

I'd pickup a F-150 FX4 *5.4, 4X4, quad cab, and pretty sharp looking*

Also, I dunno how big you are, but the CTS was not friendly to my size, the FRONT leg-room sucked in my opinion, and would be hard/uncomfortable to drive very long distances.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
id vote the G8 cause i really liked it but if u want something as a daily hat u can tow, go w/ a truck mang..u know u love em
yeah but do i get a big 4x4 diesel or a fun to drive viper truck w/ auto tranny (i think its the only way it can tow something)

0% on 2008 Yukon's right now.
can justify buying a new truck thats going to depreciate $20g as soon as i leave the lot - but a damn good deal i might add

Just a heads up, to my understanding the SRT-10 Rams have the same transmission as the vipers, and aren't rated to tow much, If any.

Also, I dunno how big you are, but the CTS was not friendly to my size, the FRONT leg-room sucked in my opinion, and would be hard/uncomfortable to drive very long distances.
im just a lil guy at 5'10'' so i fit well in most cars

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
tuff choices there. your gonna have to drive each one and see which one you like the best.

for sure...lots of test drives in the future - just seeing if anyone has or their parents or friends have - trying to get a real world answer on how everyone like them

mikes talked about the g8
pandas talked about the 300c srt8

do we know anyone with a viper truck - kinda curious what the quadcab will tow seeing that its an auto - i know they are like 2 secs slower but the only quad cab auto ive seen was a black twin turbo one at great lakes drag - kinda hard to ask that guy how he likes it seeing that im not planning on a twin turbo kit for the truck...yet

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i dont see why the SRT-10 couldnt tow... viper transmissions are pretty strong, why else would all the f-body guys switch to viper input shafts and shift forks? also i believe the truck has a dana 60 rear end.... and there is no way in hell you are gonna come close to breaking that.

I can't imagine a transmission designed to handle 500-600hp in a sports car can possibly handle towing like 5-6 thousand pounds (or more) on top of dealing with the power that motor is tossing at it.

F-bodies don't have 5-600hp stock :io:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I can't imagine a transmission designed to handle 500-600hp in a sports car can possibly handle towing like 5-6 thousand pounds (or more) on top of dealing with the power that motor is tossing at it.

F-bodies don't have 5-600hp stock :io:

yea, but nobody mods the trans on a stock f-body either... they only do it when they have around 500 or 600 HP...

but anyway, what trans does the dodge diesel 6 speed have? i remember rebuilding one in school... i believe it was a ZF but im not sure. im almost positive a cummins puts out as much torque as a viper, and torque is what breaks parts, not HP. bottom line, if they have a 6 speed that can handle a diesel truck, they could make a 6 speed to handle towing a 4000 Lb car + trailer

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007

I dont know how big you are, but I know someone that is at least as big who owns a CTS-V. He drove it from Boston to LA and back going different routes each way. He loves the car. I've ridden in it a couple of times and it was very comfortable. Sounds amazing with the headers and 3" exhaust also, and it was amazing around the track with the coilovers. :naughty:
yea, but nobody mods the trans on a stock f-body either... they only do it when they have around 500 or 600 HP...

but anyway, what trans does the dodge diesel 6 speed have? i remember rebuilding one in school... i believe it was a ZF but im not sure. im almost positive a cummins puts out as much torque as a viper, and torque is what breaks parts, not HP. bottom line, if they have a 6 speed that can handle a diesel truck, they could make a 6 speed to handle towing a 4000 Lb car + trailer
If your ready to pay the price for diesel right now. I would totally consider a diesel ram w/ 6 speed. They are indeed ZF and the trucks get ridiculous mileage towing. Friend in St. Louis was driving one and the truck had a chip and exhaust along with a lift and 35" tires. WITH a trailer he got something like 21 MPG.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
for sure...lots of test drives in the future - just seeing if anyone has or their parents or friends have - trying to get a real world answer on how everyone like them

mikes talked about the g8
pandas talked about the 300c srt8

do we know anyone with a viper truck - kinda curious what the quadcab will tow seeing that its an auto - i know they are like 2 secs slower but the only quad cab auto ive seen was a black twin turbo one at great lakes drag - kinda hard to ask that guy how he likes it seeing that im not planning on a twin turbo kit for the truck...yet

The 300C SRT8 is nice but its a big car. Panda looks silly driving it. It has plenty of torque, tires break looks easy. It rev matches when you downshift in manual mode. My dad had a 300C 5.7 before this one and its like driving a completely different car. Its quiet when you drive it normal but when you got WOT it roars. Gets horrible gas mileage like 14mpg.

2w4mr1i.jpg

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I dont know how big you are, but I know someone that is at least as big who owns a CTS-V. He drove it from Boston to LA and back going different routes each way. He loves the car. I've ridden in it a couple of times and it was very comfortable. Sounds amazing with the headers and 3" exhaust also, and it was amazing around the track with the coilovers. :naughty:

I sat in an 08, and the way the footwells narrow down bug the hell out of me.

I have VERY long legs, thats where most of my height is (6'2")
I mentioned in another thread I sat in a 300ZX recently, and with the seat all the way back and down, but my thighs still rubbed against the steeringwheel, so the narrow footwells in the 08 I sat in killed it for me. I LOVE the way they look inside and out, but I would never buy one because of the legroom IMO. Its the same way in my bosses SRX, the footwells are REALLY narrow

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
diesel is what ive been wanting - ford, chevy, pref. dodge - and it would get a small lift (3-6inch) and some computer upgrades, exhaust, etc.

kinda been thinking bout the quadcab srt10 ram w/ and AUTOMATIC TRANNY (only option with the quadcab) - maybe some bolt ons and small lowering kit - just a cool dd that you dont see everyday - but i dont know the mpg's with the v10 so i dont know

as for the car - im tired of driving a honda everyday!! i want a big luxurious car - hence the 300c srt, cts-v, g8 gt, etc.

im just tired of driving a p.o.s. everyday and i think i want to buy something nice (possibly a mid-life crisis) thats fun to drive and maybe use it to tow my car (if its a truck) gas mileage is not the most important but diesel prices are starting to suck (above 15mpg is ok) i dont drive that much anymore and probably looking at spending around $30g new or used

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info