Rear left brake draggggginnnngg..

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
1997 Grand Prix GTP...

2 issues..

1)

Noticed it was worn out so i put on new rotors and pads..

realized it was worn out bc its was dragging... took off rear drivers side and put on new hardware and new caliper pins...

still dragging.. rim gets pretty hot, and rotor is SCORCHING compared to the pass rear after a 5 minute drive at 45mph.

When i reset the piston, it went back butter smooth.. caliper slide pins seem to be moving with little resistance....

Issue 2)

At lower speeds when i turn left, the brakes on the driver side squeel, whether im braking or not... (hub assembly???!) (cant tell if its the front or the rears)... When i straighten the wheel, OR turn right, it does NOT squeel anymore.

Pads and rotors appear to be okay...

WTF are these problems? :noes:

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Even if the piston went back smoothly it could still be the caliper, especially if that's the only thing you haven't replaced yet.

The turning might have something to do with the steering system? I found out my ball-joints were bad when mine was squealing but that happened everytime I turned my wheel either way during lower speeds. Higher speeds it was ok though

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
If the rear has been dragging fo a while, The higher heat could have hurt the hub bearing.

As for the rear brakes dragging, Did you change out the rubber brake lines?
Rubber brake lines rot from the inside and can collapse. This restricts the return flow of the brake fluid causing them to drag.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
to confirm the brake hose is the issue youll need to verify that the wheel turns hard after the pedal was pressed and released, and for hw long. take wheel off and using a wrench/socket on the bleeder, use a prybarto turn the hub using the studs, repeat test, after pedal is released and the rotor is still hard to turn crack the bleeder loose to vent the pressure, if there's a spurt and the rotor spins freely at this point then its undoubtedly the hose.
if very little brake fluid comes out and the rotor is still hard to turn its likely the silt in the bottom of the piston bores wedging the piston in place, replace the caliper.

have fun

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info